Quilt Challenge!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:52 PM

When I chose to quit my job to become a full time SAHM a couple of years ago my fabric fund took a nose dive right down to the $0 level. So, what's a quilter to do? Why embrace the spirit of the thing and use what you have! It most certainly hasn't stopped me from quilting, it's just made me get a lot more creative about how to pull all those scraps together. I made both of these in 2010...

This one was probably the most fun quilt I've ever made. Since it's not only a scrap quilt but a charm one as well - it was a bit like a tricky puzzle to put together. I also learned that while I like both yellow and purple I don't apparently buy those fabric colors. I had to beg a few scraps off of friends so I could finish this one up, but I love it.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/IMG_4482.jpg[/IMG]

And this one used up a charm pack of I-Spy fabrics which I bordered in strips from a log cabin I made ages ago. This I-Spy is for my daughter who (while she wishes it was pink) loves the "game quilt" so we're both happy.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/IMG_4434.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-21-2011, 09:05 PM

Here is a pic of really random pieces
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-135313.jpe
Views:	186
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	135318  
Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 PM

I absolutely Love this one! how creative you are! The black is a stroke of genious. :D :-D
Old 03-01-2011, 10:21 PM

I have cut up several cotton blouses I'm tired of, to repurpose into a quilt. If it works out ok, I'll post a pic.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:04 PM

4 years ago I made a 3 year commitment to our church building campaign....no new fabric, but put what I would normally spend into the building fund.

Well, what originally was a sacrifice (for me - a fabriholic), turned in a delightful challenge! Not only have I made some beautiful quilts from my stash, but I was blessed to win fabric door prizes at nearly every quilt show I attended! I've posted a picture of just one of the fabulous door prizes.

My commitment is fulfilled, but I'm still finding new ways to use my stash (which hardly has a dent in it!).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-133090.jpe
Views:	177
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	133095  
Old 03-02-2011, 07:09 PM

Great stash-busters, and both fun quilts :-)
Old 03-04-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingSister
4 years ago I made a 3 year commitment to our church building campaign....no new fabric, but put what I would normally spend into the building fund.

Well, what originally was a sacrifice (for me - a fabriholic), turned in a delightful challenge! Not only have I made some beautiful quilts from my stash, but I was blessed to win fabric door prizes at nearly every quilt show I attended! I've posted a picture of just one of the fabulous door prizes.

My commitment is fulfilled, but I'm still finding new ways to use my stash (which hardly has a dent in it!).
Can you say Robert Kaufmann?

Nice material.

Glad you are in the use-em-up mode. I find myslef not buying anything except exceptional pieces of fabric until I use up a lot of what I have.

tim in sanjose
Old 03-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Rie

Originally Posted by QuiltingSister

What a blessing! I love the orange fabric.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker101
A lot of us are concerned about the lack of shops selling fabrics, and the prices in general, so I have a challenge for everyone. Let's see how many of us can make a quilt from just our scraps and small stash pieces within the next year. Backing is up to you whether you purchase or are really thrifty/creative with what you already have!

The thinking here is to be like the women who quilted in pioneer days. They had no shops nearby and had to save worn out shirts and dresses or feedsacks to make a quilt. We can do that too!

For inspiration, please visit www.quiltville.com and read her tips on scrap sorting and see the amazing quilts she has made from them! It is an awesome website.

If you don't already have a scrap drawer, start one! Every time you trim off ends, square up your fabric, etc, put the strips and pieces into light, dark and medium assortments. I got a lot of satisfaction from going through my scraps and making them organized. Mine are in shoe boxes and ziplocs for now. I will have to get the clear storage drawer set up that Bonnie has on her website.

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with by next Christmas!

Hi, Ya'll. This is Patrice, here. Just wanted to explain why I had the "nerve" to post this to the top with a sticky so it won't move from Page 1. Just so happens, somebody who thinks this is a super idea asked me to find a way to make sure everybody knows about it. This was the best way I could think of to do that.
I have been doing this for my winter sewing, making lap or table top quilts from my scrap material boxes. also placemates. Just gave one of my daughters placemats from scrap fabric. this way I use up rather than store or spend money that I can't afford to right now.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by everybody's mother
I have cut up several cotton blouses I'm tired of, to repurpose into a quilt. If it works out ok, I'll post a pic.
My mother made most of our quilts out of our used clothes when I was small. That's how I learned to sew on her tredle machine. She also carded her cotton batting from the field
cotton we grew.