Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If I am storing projects in ziplock bags will it hurt anything to put a dryer sheet in? >

If I am storing projects in ziplock bags will it hurt anything to put a dryer sheet in?

If I am storing projects in ziplock bags will it hurt anything to put a dryer sheet in?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:21 AM

good advice. Thanks everyone. brenda
Old 03-02-2011, 11:42 AM

I love this board!! Leaves me smiling :-D
Old 03-02-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlonger
I've put in a "used" sheet was afraid a new one is to oily/greasy and may leave residue on material. I put one or two "used" in when I get a quilt top from a smoker and puff up bag and twist tie before I LA it!!
I second that...a new one would leave residue, I'm afraid.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:59 PM

Agree - don't store in zip lock bags. A lot of people use pizza boxes (not used!) or other boxes. Cotton needs to breathe.

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
NO and NO...first, you should not STORE in ziploc, never seal up cotton so that it can not breathe!

Second the chemicals that are on dryer sheets can leave behind things you will never see.
The military has not banned the use of them on uniforms, the chemicals left behind can be picked up on heat sensors!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:15 PM

I haven't read all the posts yet, but the principle ingredient in fabric softener is WAX. Not a good thing to let get onto quilts.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
NO and NO...first, you should not STORE in ziploc, never seal up cotton so that it can not breathe!

Second the chemicals that are on dryer sheets can leave behind things you will never see.
The military has not banned the use of them on uniforms, the chemicals left behind can be picked up on heat sensors!
Curious, on TV they use to show green plastic bags for vegs and fruits. I've heard these have little holes we do not see. Would they work for fabric? I use some small plastic containers but air is able to get in, Will the plastic containiers them selves hurt materials.? Thanks
Old 03-02-2011, 04:34 PM

i would use a used one i agree with the oils in a new one after sitting on the fabic it might stain the quilt
Old 03-02-2011, 04:34 PM

I use plastic bags for delivering FQs and scraps to my sister. She doesnt keep them in the bags as she uses up what she gets. I also keep leftover fabric/patterns/templates from each project filed in photo boxes. I stock up on new pillowcases (used pillow cases also have a good or bad smell to them)on clearance when I can get them-then store quilts, etc. in them. When I deliver a project, I take the item out of the pillow cases, and wrap it in tissue paper, then place it in large gift bags from the dollar store. The item doesnt stay in the gift bag for long once it gets to its destination. Many times I get the bags returned for the next item they order-only if it comes from a smoke-free home.(allergies here)
Old 03-02-2011, 05:00 PM

Did you mean to say "the military HAS banned the use of dryer sheets because the heat sensors will pick up on them" if they are used in the laundry of uniforms, et c.?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:01 PM

Did you mean to say "the military HAS banned the use of dryer sheets because the heat sensors will pick up on them" if they are used in the laundry of uniforms, et c.?