Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Y Seams >

Y Seams

Y Seams

Old 03-03-2011, 04:30 AM

I'm new at Y seams. I have a quilt with 6 rows, 5 across
I have the first row of the Y seams sewn. The Y seams are in between the blocks, so that when set in they create a diamond in between the 4 blocks sewn together. Does anyone have a tutorial or list of some type of order to sew the next row on to include the lower part of the "diamond" that needs to have Y seams to complete? There are plenty of U-Tube video clips and tutorials on how to sew the three edges of the Y seam with the end result being a square and then you sew the squares together. The end result of this block is the lower half of the diamond sticking out between two blocks. something like this
-V- but half of the V below and the other half set in the upper blocks. I am doing the Cherry Orchard Quilt pattern and doing it this way I don't have to attach 1/2 triangles to the corners of the block and have the 4 seams in the small piece.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-141070.jpe
Views:	459
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	141075  
Old 03-03-2011, 04:36 AM
Banned

i find that I have to put dots at the point where the seams should be sewed. I can't just eye=ball it. In difficult shapes I will make a plastic template and mark the seam lines but expecially dots at corners. And then take time and pin to hold the pieces in correct places so they don't shift.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:45 AM
MTS
Banned

I just took a look at the picture of the pattern.
http://www.stitchntimefabrics.com/sh...sku-K10474.htm

Are your red squares the equivalent of the little white squares in the corners of the blocks, or the center of the block? I'm assuming that it is the white squares.

So basically, you've got a whole row with the reds pieces only half sewn in, right? Just want to make sure I'm understanding this. And you want to join this row to the next row, where it should slide into to a V notch?

You might want to post a picture of more of the quilt top so people can see exactly what you're talking about as it's really not a Y-seam technique problem.
You'll certainly be a pro at Y-seams when it's done. :-)

That is some pretty funky piecing, but easy enough to do.

If it were me, I would be doing Y-seams at the top, side and bottom of the red squares in this row of blocks as you join it to the next row of blocks.

You'll have to unstitch a few stitches at the top and bottom of each red square as you've probably(?) already sewed to to the edge when you were making the blocks

Basically, all 4 corners of the red squares are done as Y-seams

So the whole purpose is to NOT have seams in the center squares or the corner squares. I guess it depends on the fabric, but I can see howy that would create a "how she'd do it" look ..Interesting. Actually, it gives me some ideas for something I'm working on. Thanks. I LOVE doing Y-seams!

How exactly, ooc, did the directions say to do it?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:18 AM

This is just a thought. You could applique the small squares at the junction of the blocks, instead of using Y-seams.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:18 PM

the directions said to do it with the 1/2 square triangles on each corner, but I have to be different ;-) and now I'm guessing maybe this is harder this way. I guess I'll sew each y seam and then finish each side seam separate. thanks all
Old 03-03-2011, 02:20 PM

my red squares are the equivalent of the red fabric that makes up the triangles at each block intersection. I'll post another picture of the quilt laid out when I get home this evening.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:31 PM
MTS
Banned

Like I said, funky piecing. :mrgreen:

But since you've started, you might as well finished.

However, if you were so inclined, you could undo a few stitches between each set of blocks, and put int HST, and then resew the seams.

And I definitely understand the need to do it differently. But I don't think I would have done this method with that red fabric. However, let's say you wanted to fussy cut a flower or bouquet, then I can see going to the troube.

Still, it's great fabrics, great contrast and it will be a very cool quilt no matter which method you use.

And, like I said up above, you will be Y-seam master by the end of this. :thumbup:
Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 PM

ah yes my red is the same as the white in the quilt cover you are looking at in the link you sent. Sorry.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:27 PM

[quote=MTS]I just took a look at the picture of the pattern.
http://www.stitchntimefabrics.com/sh...sku-K10474.htm

Are your red squares the equivalent of the little white squares in the corners of the blocks, or the center of the block? I'm assuming that it is the white squares. me:(YES)

You might want to post a picture of more of the quilt top so people can see exactly what you're talking about as it's really not a Y-seam technique problem.
You'll certainly be a pro at Y-seams when it's done. :-)

That is some pretty funky piecing, but easy enough to do.

If it were me, I would be doing Y-seams at the top, side and bottom of the red squares in this row of blocks as you join it to the next row of blocks.

Basically, all 4 corners of the red squares are done as Y-seams

So the whole purpose is to NOT have seams in the center squares or the corner squares. I guess it depends on the fabric, but I can see howy that would create a "how she'd do it" look ..Interesting. Actually, it gives me some ideas for something I'm working on. Thanks. I LOVE doing Y-seams!
quote]

here are additional pictures of the progress. It's going slow and requires alot of handling of the quilt, and yes I'm getting real familiar with how to stitch "Y" seams. Still not a fan though. Atleast not this kind where it is set in on all sides. Will be real cool though when finished.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-146001.jpe
Views:	452
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	146006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-146002.jpe
Views:	447
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	146007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-146003.jpe
Views:	448
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	146008  
Old 03-03-2011, 08:51 PM
MTS
Banned

YOWZA!! That is one hot looking quilt!

And you are now at the Grandmaster level for Y-seams. I have to laugh because you've done more Y-seams in that quilt than most people do in a lifetime. :thumbup:

It's great, and while the average non-quilter passerby might not realize the work that went into it, those that know will be awed by your commitment (while secretly thinking you should be committed). :wink: :wink: