Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite tips >

Favorite tips

Favorite tips

Old 01-25-2009, 08:46 PM

I also use dlf0122quilting seaming method (saw it on TV I think) and it made a HUGE difference in my points matching.

I keep one of those fridge magnet business cards you get from time to time in my sewing basket. When using pins I lay the card next to my machine magnet side up and then as I take the pins out while sewing I 'stick' them to the magnet -- keeps the pins from wandering off, esp onto the carpet where tender feet might find them.

I also keep an old ceramic tea cup in my basket which I also place next to me while sewing and into which goes all those bit of thread or other small pieces of garbage.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:16 PM
pal

I try to take a picture of my quilt before I sandwich it, then you
can see if anything is wrong before you go any further.
Don't know why this works, but it does.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Power Poster

I am always on the lookout for organizers for my collections of quilting and sewing items. When I see a container or organizer that will work better than what I have in my room, I buy it.

One tip I think helped me get started on my projects faster, is to put all the needed thread, special size needle, and pattern or what ever all together in a large zip lock and store it with the fabric I bought to complete it. I have a couple of those plastic drawer organizers that have complete containers as drawers. You just pull it out, and get it done, or go to the class. Then I know I have everthing right there and spend less time rooting around searching.

I also keep a notepad in my purse with the list of fabric or threads, whatever I need when I am in town. That way I don't forget it in the store. (I tend to get overwhelmed in a quilt store, so many pretty things in there!) LoL!

OK just one more ... I made myself a mid calf sewing apron. I found myself at the front door signing the ups delivery slip covered with snippets of fabric and thread. Not a pretty site. When I leave the room I slip off the apron off and it tames the threads through the house trail.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:46 AM

Oh such good tips from everyone will use....Thank you all
Old 01-26-2009, 05:19 AM

I also use zip lock bags all the time for sorting threads, etc. I discovered the 2.5 gallon bags that are wonderful for keeping all you need for a project. Happy Sewing
Old 01-26-2009, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by sclc11
Mary: I was looking for the product Sta-Flo for free standing embroidery.I made angels on my emb machine and wanted more stability. I looked everywhere. Where have you found it?
Take some of your scraps of WS stabalizer and put them in a glass with water. Let them desolve and you can make your lace stiffer with that. Best of all it is free
Old 01-26-2009, 05:45 AM

Mary:

Thanks! Will be looking for it!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:33 AM

What a great tip. I've always had trouble remembering what needle I was using.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:40 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Hello all:
Did not know where to go to post thiese questions so I came to the tips area because that is what I need.
I would like to make my first Log Cabin block quilt in light and dark colors, so here are my questions. I noticed in the pattern I have it says to cut the strips 1.5 inches wide. Do the strips have to be this wide because of tradition? Can I use the standard jelly roll witdth of 2.5 inches? That is what I was thinking of doing because I can get the light and darks all in one pack, but I don't want to loose the look of the blocks. Would they have the same look?. All that being said, if it ok to use jelly roll witdth then how many jelly roll packs would I need to make a single bed size quilt?
One final question, I want to buy a 108 inch width fabric for the back of a single bed size quilt, how many yards would I need, less a 4 inch border? I am sorry about the measurement questions but I am absoultly terrible when it comes to figuring out these things. My next trip to the quilting store I am going to get one of those quilting calculators!
I look to the voices of experience to help me as I am a new quilter and I sure don't want to invest in this only to find it will not look the same.
Thanking you all in advance for your help,
Penny
Old 01-26-2009, 08:09 AM

This is a great idea!!! I can never read the size on sewing needles even with my glasses. I need to get a magnifying glass. Thank you.