Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Back Basting Hand Applique >

Back Basting Hand Applique

Back Basting Hand Applique

Old 02-23-2011, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Norva
Originally Posted by fivepaws
That looks like needle turn applique. Is it the same?
Yes - it is needle turned.
I looked at the tutorials, and thought that is much more complicated than the way I was taught to baste..

Sorry luv, but....
Not quite...when you needle turn you turn under the edge of the fabric using the needle to do it. Actually you will be sewing a few stitches down to the background, then turning a bit of the applique seam allowance under and then sewing that,and repeating it over and over all around the whole applique. It is traditional, but slow.

When you baste the seam allowance under, you hold the cut out applique in your hands (up in the air) and fold the seam allowance down - you can iron the whole thing first using freezer paper cut into the exact shape of the finished applique piece on top if you want - and iron the seam allowance under too, if you are clever with the iron.
And then bend the seam allowance under along the edges using a long sharp needle - like a straw needle - and a single strand of thread, stitch making longish basting stitches, sew the entire seam allowance under, you can sew right through the paper too. It usually just takes a few seconds -remembering to clip inside curves, so they will lie flat. Do not tie the thread - just leave ends, because you will want to pull it our later.
Sometimes I use a damp q-tip to dampen the fabric to coax it into the exact curved shape I want.
THIS IS THE EXACT FINISHED SHAPE.
Now lay and pin the applique onto the background fabric, and because it is already turned under, it is very easy to quickly sew around it using very tiny ladder stitches!
When it is all sewn to the background fabric tie your knots, and pull out the basting stitches.
You can use this method for constructing a flower or a whole multicolored Sunbonnet Sue, by sewing parts together into a whole piece, and then sewing it onto the background fabric all at once around the edges. maybe tacking it in a few places if it is very large.
I suppose, this might sound complicated...but it really isn't.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Not a new technique by any means! My grandmother taught it to me when I was a little kid in the 1930s.
thats interesting...
Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 PM

I'm SAVING this site to go back to. I think I can get back into applique with this. I haven't done any for a while so I'm going to try this method. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:36 PM

Ooh, you might have to send a few PICS doing this simple method. I need pictures sometimes. ha.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:37 PM

I use this technique for small areas,,, works great,

I very often applique my flowers as one unit using this method,, & then applique the floower to the block.. it works very well If you want to. Do a stuffed rose
Old 02-25-2011, 03:05 PM

Thank you for posting this!! I have never seen this method before and am looking forward to trying it!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 PM

Thanks, I've never seen this before . I might give it a try. :thumbup:
Old 03-05-2011, 07:13 PM

I had seen this method on one of Simply Quilts a couple of years ago. This is the only method that I use now. I use really thick thread to baste on the line. If it is thicker, when you take out the thread, it leaves some holes for a little bit and it is easier to see where to stich...
Old 03-29-2011, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the link! I could try this!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:40 PM

thank you very good information