Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does Anyone Start There Own Flowers? >

Does Anyone Start There Own Flowers?

Does Anyone Start There Own Flowers?

Old 03-05-2011, 10:23 AM

Oh, I do take the roots and about an inch of a green onion and plant it, works great!
--------------------------------
Yes, this does work nicely. I've had the same ones from the onion family growing for years. Onions, chives, garlic, leeks, etc will all grow again and again for you. Maybe most of the underground family will, it's worth a try. Sure will save money in the long run.
Also grow sweet potatoes/yams for the leaves as well as the under ground plant. Lots of folks eat the leaves as well, just leave some on the plant to keep the underground part alive.

When the weather warms up, plant Taro/Elephant Ear's cousin or half brother. It can be found in lots of grocery stores, but makes a marvelous pot plant with the large leaves. I grow them for looks and eat them in the fall/winter. And can buy some herbs in the grocery store with roots still on them, so I cut off most of the tops and plant the roots. Plants are very adaptable and WANT to grow.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:13 AM

I love the zinnias and carnations..
Old 03-05-2011, 02:43 PM

Cosmos will do well and how about african daiseys- they do real well starting in the warm house in a window. Good luck
Old 03-05-2011, 07:43 PM

Flowers and vegs...Oh...the words of Spring....can't wait to hear how you make out.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Power Poster

Sweet William and asters are so easy to grow from seed and they re-seed every year for me!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:12 AM

Sunflowers!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:40 AM

Yes, make a paste from flour and water, tear a square of TP (toilet paper) dab the paste ( about the size of a rice grain)in several spots, put 2 seeds in each. Let dry then tear off the little piece of seed, put on flower bed and cover with a bit of dirt. Water well, but not hard.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:54 AM

I plant zinnias from seed, marigolds, sunflowers. I have a greenhouse and have been going crazy planting tomatoes and bell peppers, just getting started. This will seriously cut back on my quilting time.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 AM

I have lattice around my the bottom of my porch and yesterday I planted morning glory seeds. Have done it before with seeds and they grow beautifully.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Flowers are easy to start from seeds, they just take FOREVER to wanna grow a flower!!!

I think Bachelor Buttons are fast,as well as coleus (not really a flower, but pretty nonetheless!) and Cosmos.

Things that I haven't ever had work from seed:

Chinese Lanterns
Echinacea
I have starting Echinacea (cone Flower) right now from seed It came up first. It reseeds it's self, usually. Chinese Lantern. Grab a piece of root and you will have them FOREVER you can not get rid of them. I planted mine by the road in front of my house and they have now wandered to behind my house 75 feet away I keep trying to get rid of them. Usually takes 1 year to get established then if is off and running.
Suggestion go to public gardens when they clean up in the spring. Volunteer to help (they never turn down help) As they thin out there is always extra that is going to be gotten rid of. They will most likely give you some starts and a lot of advice. Join a group, is as addictive as quilting. I quilt in the cold weather and garden in warm weather.
I'm a Master Gardner 1995 from Mill Creek Park, and a member of Holborn Herb Guild. Medicinal garden is my favorite.