Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you? >

What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you?

What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you?

Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 AM

Mine was a singer in the 1940's which I have used up until last year. I was 10 to 12
Old 03-06-2011, 08:03 AM

I learned on my Mom's tredle but when I got to high school the home ec teacher made me do all of my sewing at school b/c tredles didn't sew good enough. My parents bought a Singer (the brown & tan one that I have but belongs to my non sewer daughter). I used it thru hs & college even making my wedding dress & Mom used it until she went blind in her70's. We moved away from my home state for DH grad school. For our first Christmas together I found a Singer (the gray one) under the tree. He picked it out himself & it was a total shock and surprise especially on a grad student budget! Since then I have upgraded to a later model Singer, have inherited my MIL's tredle, & recently (after joining this board) have added a FW to my collection. Still wish I had not gotten rid of my gray Singer.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:07 AM

My first machine I got when I was 5-6. It was a little toy hand crank called "Little Mother". It was chain stitch and NEVER really worked. But I found it when i was cleaning out Mom's house and have it on display in by sewing room . Would love to know what kind of needle it used so I could have it intact.
I used mom's Singer 306(still have it- why?) until she bought me a Singer treadle for my own. When I graduated from HS, folks bought me a Singer 406 which I still have and plan to keep forever. It will outsew most of the new ones if you discount the bells and whistles. I just upgraded to a Janome 7700 and do like it but the old machines for every day sewing just can't be beat.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 AM

I learned to sew on my grandmother's treadle machine. When I was about 15 my grandmother gave me a sewing machine she bought from Western Auto store. I don't remember the brand name but I used that machine to make clothes for myself, my sisters, blouses for my mother, my wedding dress, then baby clothes and blankets. When my husband bought me a Bernina I gave old reliable to one of my sisters. It burned when she lost her home to a fire. I remember the cabinet, it was sky blue and white.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:25 AM

The first machine I sewed on was a Blue Grass. It was an old electric machine that my mother purchased through their family's general merchandise (an old fashioned country store that sold EVERYTHING). When I was 11 or 12, it began to give her trouble and in a state of "emergency" while she was making dancing costumes for our recital, she called the local sewing machine company and told them of her problem --it was summer, the house was not air conditioned, and she was 7 months pregnant. She asked them if they could deliver a good machine. The machine was delivered by his son who took over the business years later. He still services our machines, even though he is now retired. Anyway, the new machine was a Singer 301. When I married, I purchased the Singer 404. Both of these machines are still in good condition. I now own a Janome (and I also own a White and a New Home school machine.)

I learned to sew on a treadle in home economics class (WE had to master the treadle before we could graduate to the electric machines -- that was in 1954). My DG gifted me with a treadle machine which isn't in running condition, but with a little work probably would be very nice.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:28 AM

mine was a feather weight Singer..and I was 17 years old..But I had learned to sew on my grandmothers SINGER treadle...
Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 AM

Yours is the lst & only MW machine I see in lst Sewing Machine. The first sm I used was a National 2-spool and I know most of you never heard of that kind. It belong to my GM and I would sit in a chair beside her in about 1935 while she would sew for me and let me push the control and explain to me about sewing and what she was doing. After a while I could use with her supervision. Boy, that was a Cadillac of a machine even though straight stitch only. They were sold out in country areas by traveling salesmen. Her house burned in the early '40's so there went my machine. I used my mother's singer pedal machine that was a relative's and had a lot of miles before she got it, but it sewed. After I married I got a MW (new) electric of course and straight stitch. But it was great had a knee control. I made my clothes, household items and sport coats for my husband. Then technology had progressed and in whatever year the 302 singers came out I traded in. Then, later for a 501 singer, which I have lent to a GGD-in law. By then I was sewing for twins. Then there came touch-in-sew singers, and then Pfaff and then machines that do embtroidery and sew also. I still have a several of them. Well, needless to say If I could find a National two-spool in excellent shape reasonable I would buy, but then I would need a few regular sized spools and a way to transfer thread. The MW was also a great one, sorry I traded it in. You can tell that I am like auto collectors. I am still sewing and doing some quilting. missbelle
Old 03-06-2011, 08:37 AM

I learned to sew on my grandmother's Singer treadle which I still have. Don't remember how young I was when I started. Recieved a brother for Christmas when I was 12. been sewing ever sense.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:44 AM

I was 7, I think. I made all my doll's clothes. It was plastic, orange and white, and had was hand cranked instead of electric. Wish I had it today....
Old 03-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

My grandmother's Singer treadle machine was what I learned to sew on when I was about 6 years old. My DD has that machine in her house now. When a Sears store opened in town my grandmother went to the grand opening and bought a brand new Kenmore and I used it until I got out of high school. I never thought about her having no place to buy a sewing machine unless driving for hours back then. All machines came with beautiful wood cabinets too.