Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Eastward bound & looking for great quilt shops, etc. >

Eastward bound & looking for great quilt shops, etc.

Eastward bound & looking for great quilt shops, etc.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:28 AM

The Marden's website says that their price is now $4.99 a yard. I haven't been since December. Makes sense that their prices would go up, too, though.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do
The Marden's website says that their price is now $4.99 a yard. I haven't been since December. Makes sense that their prices would go up, too, though.
That's a WHOLE LOT better than the $13+/yd. I'm beginning to see Prices ARE increasing. If I do this right, I can have m life-lasting stash complete by the end of this trip (before the new prices take effect). Then I'll spend my last 30 years stitching from my warehouse. :-P
Old 03-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Yes, $4.99 is nothing to sneeze at. Just didn't want to give the wrong info!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by NDQuilts
I live 30 mins from your friend so I can pm you a list of what we have a a aila le locally. Do you have a type or look that you tend toward? Most shopa around here are small - nothing like hancocks or keepsake. As for keepsake it has been 10 years since i was last there so I'll let someone else comment.
I'm too new at quilting to have a type or look preference , although my goal is to make a quilt for my queen size bed. I live in Arizona. My house is decorated with Native American pottery, Navajo rugs, and Indian motifs. I want the quilt to fit in with my decor. That probably means solid colors and not cute (although adorable) calico-type prints. My friend and I have vastly differing tastes and we're both open-minded so I think the correct response is that we want to (at least) LOOK at everything! :wink:
Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 PM

When I went to Keepsake Quilting I was too overwhelmed by the volume of fabric...couldn't make a decision and didn't see anything different from what is in their catalogue. So I went there and bought nothing. Did find some Quilt shops on the coast of Maine and New Hampshire that were fun.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 PM

textures and very small prints that read as one color work well for Southwestern quilts.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
Originally Posted by lots2do
there's an incredible shop in Chester, VT, too. I'll have to look up the name.
Country Treasures: This is Sue Ashe's shop - tons of fabric and a lot of good fabric on sale always. Depending on when you're traveling - they are always closed for Mudseason 3/28-4/16 this year. (forgot yours is a summer trip when I wrote this)

The Log Cabin Quilting with which I'm familiar is in Ravena NY - Londa Vanderzee's shop - she's a neat lady and has a good fabric selection. If you get here you're pretty near Gloversville - the Gloversville Sewing Center is Diana Marshall's shop - she's a terrific lady too.
Both women are friends of mine - but I recommend without bias. (pun unintended)
I have been to both of these stores. Both are very nice shops. Both have unique fabrics that I have not seen a lot of. Also if you travel North of Albany there is a few stores in Glens Falls. Adirondack Quilts (http://www.adirondackquilts.com) and Patti's Quilting and Fabrics (http://www.pattisquiltingandfabrics.com).
Old 03-07-2011, 07:53 AM

If you are here during these dates-- June 15-18, 2011
the National Quilt Assoc. has a national quilt show at the convention center.

my LQS shop is The Glass Thimble, its at North High st and EN Broadway. (Clintonville area in Columbus)
Old 05-25-2011, 01:53 PM

Thank you everyone for your input. My list of your fabulous recommendations,directions,advice and opinions are now a treasured Word document - packed in my suitcase. I depart June 2nd and haven't booked a return flight. This is gong to be SO MUCH fun. My sewing machine is packed as are pounds of fabric, 3 pieced quilt tops, books & patterns. My friend in Columbus will help me finish the quilt tops and make one from start to finish before we set out for Maine on the 9th.

Wish us dry roads, tornado-free weather & lower gas prices - not to mention countless hours of satisfying quilting. I can't tell you when I've been so excited. My friend and I have known each other since 1970 (we met at OSU). We're closer than our respective sisters. This trip is something we've always wanted to do and now that I've (finally) learned to quilt (Feb '11) our dream is coming true.

Once we're back in Ohio, our quilting marathon will begin. Happy Quilting and thanks again!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:17 PM

have a wonderful time and best of luck, safe travels.