Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you have a sewing machine repair person? >

do you have a sewing machine repair person?

do you have a sewing machine repair person?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 PM

I have my mom's 1932 industrial Singer machine. There is a man in our area that makes house calls. I called him to come and put a new belt on my old 'Mary'. I will call him in the future if needed for that machine.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:27 PM

Jim Shields/ McMinnville Sew & Vac fixes old machines & new, can get parts for all &only 30 minutes away.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:31 PM

Yes, I have an older gentleman 10 miles from my home. He sells Janome but will work on any. I bought my Janome from him. Back home we have 2 in the same town. About 30 miles from me I have 2 more. I'm not sure about the abilities of one of them though. I was told at a LQS that he just started working on machines. So that makes me nervous. I'm really picky about what they use to clean my older machines. I normally just clean mine myself. If I'm having tension or timing issues or need an internal part replaced I take it in.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:52 PM

I have a very handy repairman......my DH! He can fix anything :!:
Old 03-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Banned

those of you that have the repairmen close, find out if they are doing apprenticeships...I am serious...I want to become a sewing machine repair person!

They are a dieing breed...very few are apprenticing outside of their family.
BUT if they have NO family and no apprentice, what happens when they suddenly decide to retire to Reno or worse?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SuziC
I have a very handy repairman......my DH! He can fix anything :!:
I bet a nice new computerized BErnina would stump him....it is a like a car with its new computers...if you don't have the right circuit reader, you never know what is wrong...
Old 03-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I am willing to bet that not many here on the board actually get their machines serviced in another country! There is one Bernina dealer in Ireland (on the other side of the country) and he let me down so badly and actually lied to me to try and cover up things, that I now drive into Northern Ireland to get my machine serviced.

It's about a 300 mile round trip! (but then to Dublin from where I am isn't much different).

And before you wonder why I didn't get another make instead, there is one dealer about an hour and a half from me, but she doesn't have a repairman either, so I would still have to take any machine bought from her to Dublin.
I need to become the TRAVELING sewing machine repair person!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Boy, I am really LUCKY! My sisters brother-in-law used to repair machines at Jo-Ann's years ago. All I have to do is call him up and when I go to his house, he will actually repair it while I wait, and visit with his wife. He will never take anything for doing it, because we are family. I always make sure I take something that my husband made. My dh is Mexican, and can this man cook. All I have to do is take some tamales, enchiladas, whatever, and he is thrilled to death. And I leave with a working machine.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lovestosew
Boy, I am really LUCKY! My sisters brother-in-law used to repair machines at Jo-Ann's years ago. All I have to do is call him up and when I go to his house, he will actually repair it while I wait, and visit with his wife. He will never take anything for doing it, because we are family. I always make sure I take something that my husband made. My dh is Mexican, and can this man cook. All I have to do is take some tamales, enchiladas, whatever, and he is thrilled to death. And I leave with a working machine.
will you adopt me?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:12 AM

I live in Charlotte NC, and I have a great sewing machine repair man. He works only on Bernina and Babylock (authorized Bernina repair man) He is great. If you lived closer I would give you his name. Anyone else out there near Charlotte, he is from Indian Trails, but will pick up your machine. His name is Pete Wade
phone 704-361-0861.