Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for feedback... >

looking for feedback...

looking for feedback...

Old 03-07-2011, 05:19 AM

I am a breast cancer survivor. (11 years this month) and I love everything the "pink ribbon" stands for. I have a 14 year old grand daughter that isn't really a "girly girl", but anything with a pink ribbon on it means something to her. I guess because I survived. I know others that don't care about it, so I guess it is a PERSONAL thing.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 AM

I am a six year survivor,,,,YEA..... To me the pink ribbon represents the thought,prayers and efforts to irradicate CA. The big C or what ever you want to call it. AS someone else stated,there are all kinds of cancer. Yea again for all the awareness and care. I would like a quilt with this emblem on it. Only my opinion.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:32 AM

I am a breat cancer survivor and have also had a mastectomy. I understand the pink ribbon but am tired of seeing it. For myself, I would prefer a warm, comfy quilt that would remind me of how much that person cares for me. Just a personal thought. Nanamoe
Old 03-07-2011, 05:32 AM

I had a double mastectomy and I like it when pink ribons are used because usually a portion is donated to breast cancer.

darlene
Old 03-07-2011, 05:52 AM

Since pink is the color chosen for Breast Cancer Awareness, why not make the back solid pink flannel. When the quilt is completed, tie it up with a pink ribbon. She will get the message.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by happyscrappy
of all the people i know who have gone through this terrible ordeal, the most of them think the ribbon thing is way over done and think it is a big joke. i believe the original intention was to draw "awareness" to the disease, and the cancer victims do not need additional awareness, so to speak. maybe she does not need a "reminder" of her cancer. something to think about. she will treasure your beautiful thoughts of her either way.
I agree with this. My DDIL is a breast cancer survivor, as is her mother and 2 of her 4 sisters. She hates pink, and she lives with the reminder of it every day when she looks in the mirror. My husband suffered for 7 years with daily reminders of his cancer. I don't need to look at some ribbon to be reminded. I just think it is a market tool to make money. Sure some of it goes to research; but we still have breast cancer hanging over our head. How many millions and millions of dollars have been raised? And we still don't have a cure.
I agree with this also. I'm a 2 year survivor and have nothing pink. Many gain comfort from the ribbons and that is wonderful. Sometimes I think the pink is so prevalent it becomes invisible if you get my thinking.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:22 AM

My beautiful niece (inside and out) just passed away at 41 after fighting a 9-year battle with breast cancer. She put up with a lot. One of her friends made her a breast cancer quilt and she was always covering up with it.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by happyscrappy
of all the people i know who have gone through this terrible ordeal, the most of them think the ribbon thing is way over done and think it is a big joke. i believe the original intention was to draw "awareness" to the disease, and the cancer victims do not need additional awareness, so to speak. maybe she does not need a "reminder" of her cancer. something to think about. she will treasure your beautiful thoughts of her either way.
I agree. While I lost both my parents and grandparents on my mother's side to cancer (no brest cancer). I refuse to buy anything with pink ribbons on it. I think it's gotten to be a marketing ploy now.

If you sister is very private I would use something else. It sounds like she doesn't want to talk about it and this would always be a reminder.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:44 AM

If your sister is a private person she might not want everyone to know her health issue, I would skip the pink ribbons. I just think it would be a constant reminder and I would want to move forward if I was her , but you are doing a wonderful thing for your sister!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:47 AM

I am in the same predicament as you. I have a friend who is battling breast cancer now. I thought it would be great to make her a quilt for when she goes for her chemo treatments since she gets cold. I made a whole quilt top with diffent kinds of pink ribbon material and a pink ribbon motif in the center. I have completed the top and am getting ready to sandwich and quilt when my husband said he thought it was a bad idea to make a quilt that will do nothing but remind her of this ordeal. I dont know what to do now either. Do I make her a new quilt or complete this one?