Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else on a budget? >

Anyone else on a budget?

Anyone else on a budget?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by gzuslivz
I used to have a hard time controlling my spending. A while ago I wanted to be a better steward of what we've been given. So I told my husband that I wanted an allowance. I get my cash every payday and use it for my books, fabric, etc. If it's a gift for someone, the general fund pays for it. If I just want it, I pay for it. It works very well. I think more about my purchases and don't feel guilty for what I spend.
I do basically this. All of my spending money for the month I get up front in cash. Then I spend it on whatever I want, and that includes my quilting supplies, and when it is gone, I stop. Gifts, however, can come out of the general household fund, because we have a section for gifts in our household budget. Whether or not I do use the household funds for gifts really depends, though. Sometimes I want a gift to be more "from me", so I use my money. If it's for some of DH's family because he requested I make a gift for them, I will definitely use household!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:53 AM

I think that is an excellent idea. Dave Ramsey would be proud of you! (Dave Ramsey does workshops called Financhial Peace University about staying out of debt) My husband took an early retirement this past summer and now I have put myself on the "envelope" system.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 AM

Definately on a fabric budget and trying to finish UFOs. I'm really seeing how this is affecting the LQS as she is not bringing in any new fabrics right now. I don't make as many trips because I am not buying and there is less to see. I really want to support her (cuz her business is really struggling and I'd love to have her around in the future ) but I have to pay bills too. It's a tough balance.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 AM

We've used the envelope method for a budget for over 38 years now....Every payday, money goes into envelopes - spending, dinners out, gas, food, etc......Works like a charm.

Taught my sis to do the same - she's handicapped and doesn't do well with numbers...but understands well - if the money is gone in the envelope, that's it.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 AM

I use to get $80.00 per month to spend as I pleased but lately I have been ending up putting it back in the budget. Cost of things have gone up so much it is hard to make ends meet sometimes. We purchased a car 2 years ago and we only have 2 more car payments and when that is payed off things will be good again. I have decided to down size all my crafts that I don't do anymore and selling it on Ebay and going to have a huge garage sale when the snow is melted and it is warm out side!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:39 AM

oh, the "B" word, quite familiar. What has saved me a lot of money the past two years, is to force myself to finish projects in the drawer or purchased projects that never got started.
It is not as fun as shopping for new, but it is gratifying to get some stuff completed. Shamedly, I have enough for at least another year.
Karen
Old 03-07-2011, 08:39 AM

What a good idea ! Maybe it is very good to be on budget , so
then we won't buy fabric we really don't need. I am on a budget. That is what happens when you are retired and only have your SS check to depend on.

If we budget then we will use up all fabric instead of horrding it.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:57 AM

We try to live as frugal as possible. Have some medical bills and other debt we are trying to pay off, so we shop garage sales and thrift stores, rarely buy anything brand new, make our own bread & clothes soap, cook from scratch, use the cloths line or drying rack, use cloth napkins instead of paper towels or paper napkins and etc.

You'll be surprised at the difference the little things make! I still use paper towels to drain meat on, but one roll will last us for weeks.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:14 AM

Hubby out of work since mid Nov, so that put me on a "no spend" budget; but I am ok because I have a new machine, a lovely stash, and plenty of books and patterns. Also 3 kits to do, so who has time to shop??
Hubby gave me some to put away for the Maine Quilt Show in July, so that was very generous and will be fun!! I have a quilty friend flying here from WA to join me for the show and spend some time just relaxing. Am so looking forward to it.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:55 AM

:D THAT is a really smart idea. I have enough fabric in my home to start my own shop. I have no room for any more!