Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for feedback... >

looking for feedback...

looking for feedback...

Old 03-07-2011, 03:33 PM

When a niece was going through chemo I made her a throw, put a flannel backing on and she said it kept her warm as she was always cold. Not sure if I would use the ribbon fabric on the back as it might be a reminder of something she would rather forget. Just opinion here.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:11 PM

i'm a survivor of 5years in june of breast cancer. everyone has an opinion, that is their idea on the subject. you will have a better idea of how your sister may feel. my friend is just going back to work after treatments for breast cancer. i made her a quilted throw that was brown basically with small pink ribbons. then sewn squares about 3inches by 4inches with the words faith, hope,friends,love, etc. on the back was flannel of white back ground with small pink ribbons. your sister i'm sure will love anything you make for her, knowing the time and love that goes into the quilt. God Bless!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM

First of all, I am so sorry for your loss! Personally, if I had cancer and got a pretty quilt to comfort me, I would NOT want pink ribbons on it. I would want something totally removed from the idea of cancer. HOWEVER, I am not your sister. Is there a way you can feel her out about the whole pink ribbon thing? How brave and kind of you to do this for her.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:24 PM

I made my DSI a quilt with the ribbons. She loved it and we called it her "Survivor Quilt". I would go with the pink ribbon flannel..
Old 03-07-2011, 04:25 PM

I am a survivor of breast cancer (10 years!) and while I was doing the chemo, my best friend made me a beautiful log cabin quilt with pink scraps. The quilt was like a big hug. I will always treasure it and it reminds me of how fortunate I am in so many ways.

Give her the pink ribbons!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:37 PM

If your sister wants to remain private about it all, the quilt might prompt others to ask questions that she'd rather not answer in the future. My thoughts tend to agree with your husband's idea and I would certainly make her a quilt, but not in the Cancer reminder colours. I nursed my mother during the end of her life from the dreaded "C" and know that this would have been her attitude as well.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:07 PM

I have recently made 2 breast cancer quilts for a few very important people in my life. Both were Log Cabins and I placed a pink Breast
Cancer ribbon in the center of each log. By ladies happened to have had a breast removed and are recent survivors! Yeah! They are both support Breast Cancer Awareness (of course). But, not matter what type of quilt you lovingly make for your friend, they will always treasure it and appreciate all the love you put into sewing every stitch. Fabric is fabric. The thought, love and support that go with the gift of the quilt last forever.
Pamibear
Old 03-07-2011, 05:08 PM

I have had breast cancer twice and the pink ribbon fabric is just a reminder to me how hard I fought and was being "positive" about the ordeal & i love the feel of the flannel with that pretty print on it...a board member gave this to me with the promise to make something with it and i have, it is solid pink on one side and ther ribbon print on the other side..nothing fancy but it does the job of making me feel snuggly & comfy.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Banned

if she is private about her condition then don't use the pink ribbons make a generic quilt.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:11 PM

I had an early stage breast cancer. It was found only because my friend nagged me every day to resch. my mammi appt. I kept saying we were to busy at work & I would do it in a few months. (My fist lump was removed when I was only 22) I think the pink ribbons do remind us and that's a good thing. We get busy and forget to take care of ourselves even after we've been there before. It's been over 10 years and I still wait for that "all clear you can get dressed".
Ask your sister what she thinks about the pink ribbon things.
I hope you are not putting off your mammi's and have talked to your Dr. about your sisters conditions.