Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just One Star Comfort a Soldier by Moda >

Just One Star Comfort a Soldier by Moda

Just One Star Comfort a Soldier by Moda

Old 03-08-2011, 06:06 AM
Banned

Maryanna, thank you so much for bringing this to our attention! What a wonderful thing to do for our soldiers. It will be an honor for me to make one and send it off this afternoon.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by daisydebby
I saw this the other day and sent an email to our guild newsperson to let everyone in on the event. I'm making a red and a blue star to send off. So glad we're all contributing to those who've served. I served and this is an honor to help out.
Thank you for your service!

Originally Posted by kappy
Or do they want solid colors for the star or can it be a patterened material for the red or blue? Is the cream background suppose to be a solid or can it be marbled or patterened?
I think you can use either-- whatever you have that fits the description of med. red/blue and cream background. I used mostly prints and some solid ecru background.

In their picture of the quilt they show prints being used.
http://www.unitednotions.com/LA_just_one_star.pdf
Old 03-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnna
I came across this and it sounds wonderful. Minick & Simpson from Moda and the Semper Fi Fund are doing this for our Soldiers....they are asking all quilters to donate 1 block from the pattern (see link), you write your name & State on the block and then send to Moda, they'll square up blocks and assemble the quilts & distribute to wounded soldiers. What a great idea!
Here's the link for the pattern: http://www.unitednotions.com/LA_just_one_star.pdf

Let's all try to do 1 block!

Have you thought about posting pictures of all the blocks that are sent so we can see the work and the support from the quilting board family. I think this is a great idea!!! Thanks for bringing it to us.

Blessings,
MaryAnna
Have you thought about posting pictures of all the blocks that are sent so we can see the work and the support from the quilting board family. I think this is a great idea!!! Thanks for bringing it to us.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:20 PM

I'm in for sure!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:37 PM

What a wonderful way to let our soldiers know that we care. I will get one made right away.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:00 PM

I'm in. My DH is retired from the service. Glad to help our soldiers. Will pass on to my SIL to see if she'll participate, too.
Thank you for the link.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the link!
Old 03-08-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
I hate to rain on the parade here and I think making blocks and sending them in to some place like moda is a nobal thing to do and its awesome the THOUGHT behind this project....HOWEVER!!!!! You NEVER NEVER NEVER give a Veteran a quilt that looks like a flag. For to many of these guys that have been wounded they suffer from PTSD! I know my husband is one of them and being given even a quilt to lay over them reminds them of being in a coffin draped with a flag! Which causes MAJOR setback in recovery from this horrible disorder.
Moda should have a little tack and realize this or at least ask questions first.

Sorry for my interruption I am sure many of you will send blocks anways, just wanted to put the truth out there!
I am glad you brought this up because I am not sure how many people are aware of this possibility, and I would suggest that you make Moda aware of these considerations-- their website is modafabrics.com. My hope is that the people who actually give the quilt to the soldiers would be knowledgeable enough to know when to give it and when not to give it so as not to retraumatize the individual.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:17 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by Iris P.
Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
I hate to rain on the parade here and I think making blocks and sending them in to some place like moda is a nobal thing to do and its awesome the THOUGHT behind this project....HOWEVER!!!!! You NEVER NEVER NEVER give a Veteran a quilt that looks like a flag. For to many of these guys that have been wounded they suffer from PTSD! I know my husband is one of them and being given even a quilt to lay over them reminds them of being in a coffin draped with a flag! Which causes MAJOR setback in recovery from this horrible disorder.
Moda should have a little tack and realize this or at least ask questions first.

Sorry for my interruption I am sure many of you will send blocks anways, just wanted to put the truth out there!
I am glad you brought this up because I am not sure how many people are aware of this possibility, and I would suggest that you make Moda aware of these considerations-- their website is modafabrics.com. My hope is that the people who actually give the quilt to the soldiers would be knowledgeable enough to know when to give it and when not to give it so as not to retraumatize the individual.
I did just this. Went to this blog and asked if they knew anything about the pattern being a problem for veterans because I really wanted to participate in this event but sure did not want to do any damage to a veteran. You can read their reply near the bottom of the comments. I was impressed with their answer.

http://minickandsimpson.blogspot.com...-one-star.html
Old 03-08-2011, 04:21 PM

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I am so in on this one.