Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I just wanted to share a pleasant surprise this morning! >

I just wanted to share a pleasant surprise this morning!

I just wanted to share a pleasant surprise this morning!

Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 PM

Ladies and cactus plants. I do not water mind from Oct. to end of march. I feed them miracle grow 4 times a year. Mine bloom every year. I have EpiPhylliums too which look a lot like Easter Cactus but the blossums are as big as china tea cups. They are set out side from the 1st of May till end of Sept. My DH hangs them from the apple trees and they love it. Nature them waters them mostly as we live in the NW by boarder and we rain or he waters the every 3 days in hot weather. Hope this helps. I have 75 different ones growing ShirleyAnne
Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 PM

I inherited my mother-in-law's cactus plant. Hers bloomed profusely every Christmas. I've had it now for 7 years and it has yet to bloom. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:24 AM

Very pretty pink.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1
Your's too! My "Christmas" Cactus always bloom at Thanksgiving and did this past year as usual. Right now 3 of the 4 are in full bloom again! I decided to call them "Mardi Gras" Cactus! I have 2 red, 1 magenta and 1 white (with buds!) :P
What beautiful plants they are !! A great name too! :)
Old 03-09-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by caliquocat
Oops! I posted a picture of my cactus before I saw your picture. Maybe my cactus isn't as crazy as I thought. :-)
Just beautiful! I thank those that have posted pictures! It is so nice to see others efforts and accomplishments with flowers!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Shirley Anne
Ladies and cactus plants. I do not water mind from Oct. to end of march. I feed them miracle grow 4 times a year. Mine bloom every year. I have EpiPhylliums too which look a lot like Easter Cactus but the blossums are as big as china tea cups. They are set out side from the 1st of May till end of Sept. My DH hangs them from the apple trees and they love it. Nature them waters them mostly as we live in the NW by boarder and we rain or he waters the every 3 days in hot weather. Hope this helps. I have 75 different ones growing ShirleyAnne
Thanks for this information. I was thinking of placing mine out this year in Spring (once no frost ) and give them a boost! I do water mine year round but not until they are dry, dry. Fertilize spring, summer, fall and winter (once) I did have a time keeping them going at first, slow growth and getting them to bloom. I am deciding to repot them this spring into a little larger pot.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by hilda Vest
I inherited my mother-in-law's cactus plant. Hers bloomed profusely every Christmas. I've had it now for 7 years and it has yet to bloom. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hor.../xmascctus.htm

This site has many questions and answers ... Maybe a check here may help you.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:41 AM

Finally, I found old photos of my Christmas cactus. These photos were taken in 2008. My plant is about 29 years old. I have repotted it at least four times and regularly clip stem a foot long off.

About a year ago I found out that you clip a stem off and let it sit someplace without water or soil for about 3 weeks and then either set the ends in water or pot it and it will grow. My friend that I gave about a dozen such clippings to a year ago, now has a wonderful large plant that also blooms regularly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-135344.jpe
Views:	60
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	135349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-135345.jpe
Views:	58
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	135350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-135346.jpe
Views:	60
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	135351  
Old 03-09-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Finally, I found old photos of my Christmas cactus. These photos were taken in 2008. My plant is about 29 years old. I have repotted it at least four times and regularly clip stem a foot long off.

About a year ago I found out that you clip a stem off and let it sit someplace without water or soil for about 3 weeks and then either set the ends in water or pot it and it will grow. My friend that I gave about a dozen such clippings to a year ago, now has a wonderful large plant that also blooms regularly.
Oh my golly ghee! What a beautiful display of cactus plants! I had not heard of the drying of the clippings and then rooting them! I may have to give that a shot! Thanks for sharing your lovely plants with us!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:58 AM

Thanks Sharon. My plant takes up the space of a large over stuffed chair. I have to keep clipping it on top and the sides so it doesn't over take the living room. :-D