Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In quite a tizzy here! Purple & Orange?? >

In quite a tizzy here! Purple & Orange??

In quite a tizzy here! Purple & Orange??

Old 03-09-2011, 06:54 PM

I have done a purple and orange quilt using the Spectacular Scraps book - essentially it's all triangles and you go with the colors and don't pay attention to the values. It turned out great!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
Originally Posted by eparys
Originally Posted by katier825
Here's one I did. The pattern is Lucky Stars by Atkinson Designs. Very easy pattern!
katier825 - I am not a fan of these colors usually - but I love your quilt!! :thumbup:
Thanks! I have made several in different color combinations and have loved them all! Here's a link:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-54842-1.htm
I remember your quilts and at the beginning of this post, thought in shades of solids, I am such a newbie never even thought of the variations thereof - how amazing creativity can be, thanks all for sharing.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:02 PM

How about ocean waves--it'd look spectacular with all the varieties of purple and orange
Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
Ugh! These are 2 colors I am really not fond of together but a request has been made of me to make a Purple & Orange quilt. I have no idea what I am gonna do to pull this off! She stated that if I *must* use a 3rd color to use only white. Sooo... any of ya good people out there have any ideas of a pattern to use for this request?
I was thinking DWR might work, as each ring could be shades of purple on one and shades of orange for the other and then a w-o-w for the melons and centers. Would this work, ya think? I really think it's only gonna "work" if the colors were seperated like that instead of together like in a rail fence. I don't wanna use sashing to keep em apart either. I have searched here and all over the net but can't find purple and orange together in a quilt without black(halloween) or just the 2 of them. I suggested a green or yellow based of the color wheel and she said nope, just white but only if you must. gah!! help..???
Here is one that I made several years ago for a woman that also loved purple and orange. The pattern was called A Starry Delight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-131977.jpe
Views:	180
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	131982  
Old 03-09-2011, 08:35 PM

Why not make the 3d pinwheels, with white as the background color and the other two for the pinwheels.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 PM

I think a pinwheel might be lovely. Purple and orange on white I think would look very nice.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:56 PM

I done one it had purple with orange flowers and reversed orange with purple flowers in a Tumbling Spool and it was real pretty but it took a long time finding the right pattern to go with the fabrics.Its been 10 yrs but its just as brite as the day I mailed it to my SIL--when ever I get a brain fart I head to the library and check out a slew of quilt books
Old 03-09-2011, 10:02 PM

If you are able to use different shade of the chosen colors try something less complicated, these are strong colors, but they can be toned down by mixing the tonal quality in the fabrics, have fun and try not to get to stressed out, most young people enjoy brilliant color
pallets :D
Old 03-09-2011, 10:16 PM

I can visualize a quilt done in shades of purple and shades of orange - but my guess is because your customer said only white if adding a third color that she may not be happy with anything except a solid purple and solid orange and solid white (if necessary). You could do a triple Irish Chain using white for the background, orange for the center of the chain and purple for the outsides. Concur with Cowpie2 that a pinwheel pattern would also work well, as would someone's earlier suggestion of a DNP. Guess what pattern you use will depend on how big she wants it, how soon she wants it, and how much time you want to spend on making it. Be interesting to see what you come up with.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:40 PM

Wow, so many ideas, thanks a million ya'll!! I am leaning more towards a log cabin variation I seen in a mag or another one that looks really neat I found in a mag also. Once I get some fabrics to start with, I don't carry these colors in my stash usually, I will post my progress. I did find in my stash a white that has 1/2" lines of orange and a greyish-black randomly spread on it to use for her 3rd color, if necessary though. Yay! I am gonna go with some batiks as suggested. Funny, I always thought they were a tie-dye type of fabric line never realized they were batiks. LoL!!