Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If You Had $2000.00, What Machine Would You Buy? >

If You Had $2000.00, What Machine Would You Buy?

If You Had $2000.00, What Machine Would You Buy?

Old 03-10-2011, 07:03 AM

So much advise. What did you decide? :-D
Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 AM

I like my Babylock symphony. It has lots of stitches and many features that are great for piecing. But would buy what the dealer close to you carries due to questions and service.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:39 AM

Get a Bernina. Using their interest-free credit you can upgrade to get all you want on it.. The machine is heavy, but what a wonderful long-term investment. Sewing on it you can tell that it's so-s-o-o-o stable. However, not the best for toting to guild or classes -- get a rolling cart for that.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by SueJ
I have been saving money like crazy so that I can buy a better machine. What would your advice be?
Make a list of what's most important to your needs and the projects you do, and go from there.

For me, I wanted an extended bed so I had more room to shove the quilts through when finishing; capability and several alphabets to program text for my dedication patches; durability; brand recognition for resale value; and warranty.

I bought a Viking Husqvarna Sapphire 870 Quilt which has a 10" extended sewing surface (as compared to 6" on my old Kenmore). I love it. I didn't think I'd like the needle up/down, cut, start/stop, fix, features as much as I do, but I'm finding that I miss them when sewing on other machines (at my volunteer work).

I don't have the desire or time to get into embroidery, nor do I have the space to store all the supplies required for that, so I didn't look at any of the fancy embroidery machines.

Downside is that it has to be serviced by a dealer and I previously did all maintenance/service on my Kenmores myself. The feet are expensive, but they do the job nicely.

I nearly bought a used Bernina Artista 185 without the embroidery attachment, because of it's 9mm wide stitch and the ability to do monograms, but bought the Sapphire Quilt because of the warranty. I figured that if I needed any embroidery done, I'd pay a friend to do it for me. Less to learn!! ;-) Good Luck!!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:00 AM

My moms Janome dealer is allowing us both to get the Janome 7700 for $2000 with our trade in. She has the Janome 6500 and I have Singer 7470.

I would call around and price shop. It may be worth traveling to get the best deal.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 AM

I am probably to late to influence yu but just incase, I would go with a machine that has a service dealer nearby. Everyone loves the one they own, and they almost all have good machines. It is all in what you want or need. I don't need the embroidery machine because I am not into that so will not pay the extra needed for it. I bought a new machine last year, and it is the best I could buy before you get into those huge heavy embroidery machines. I am extremely happy with it. It has the built in IDT which all my machines prior to this have had.
My dealer is not far from me and I go take classes which I would highly recommend you do as well. Jan
Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 AM

I have a Janome 7700 and LOVE IT!!!!!! Also, I own a Viking Desinger SE and use it for piecing, quilting and EMBROIDERY! I just couldn't part with either......good luck with your decision. (PS: I've owned a Bernina machine made especially for quilter's in the past and I didn't especially care for it....to stiff and hard to keep the fabric ging straight, plus all the attachments are way more expensive than Janome or Viking....just a thought).
Josi in Sebring FL
Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by chuckbere15
My moms Janome dealer is allowing us both to get the Janome 7700 for $2000 with our trade in. She has the Janome 6500 and I have Singer 7470.

I would call around and price shop. It may be worth traveling to get the best deal.
Good for you! You must be excited!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:18 AM
JJC

Originally Posted by SueJ
I have been saving money like crazy so that I can buy a better machine. What would your advice be?
The Bernina 830E series. They're very expensive. I own a Bernina 1260 and love it, but would sure love to upgrade to one of the 830 series, perferably the embroidary one.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:19 AM

I prefer from experience having two seperate machines. One to sew and one to embroider. I purchased the Bernina 630 last year, but I really am not happy with it. It weighs a ton. Paid 4400 for it and got the embroidery module and BSR.
I don't like the threader, or placement of the bobbin on the side under the table. I have to pull the table off to change, or check the bobbin. You cannot pull the thread from the back to unthread as it messes up the tension, and I have a hard time remembering that. The needle has to be recentered every time you move the machine. The feet and accessories are expensive. It must be serviced every year. My list goes on and on. I really wish I had tried sewing on different machines. I love the two Brothers I have. I just needed a bigger hoop capability and thought I would like the BSR.(stitch regulator) I wish I had spent that money on a Janome, Brother, or Baby Lock.