Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with a warped top? >

What to do with a warped top?

What to do with a warped top?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:51 PM

Ok, um, this is not for me *uh huh*.. I have this OBW quilt top. Finished ready to quilt. Question is it does NOT lay flat. There are a couple spots its warped? not sure if this is the correct wording.. but I am about as done with it as I am going to be and want to quilt it and never do one again. Ok.. at least I don't want to toss it in the fire to start the kindling which of course I have never thought of before now.. I just think it wont take to regular quilting as it might buckle or whatever the correct term is on top. So how do I finish it besides in the fire? I just would love so much to get a couple words of advice here. I am lost :(

Thanks for listening to my P* and moaning. I promise to post if it finishes out with only having to hang my chin to my chest and not my toes.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:53 PM

Lay it out, see where the warping is, steam press that spot to get it as flat as possible, then do some creative quilting that will minimize the effect. Maybe circles or waves or something? I, of course, have NEVER had a quilt that didn't lie perfectly flat (is my nose growing yet?)!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

In the quilting process do your think it can be eased into submission?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:01 PM

Agree, I have also never had this problem after 45 years making quilts! Opps, just tripped over my nose!!

You will see that we all experienced this, & there will be many suggestions offered.
I would starch & press the heck out of the area, if it still puckers, I have even used very lightweight fusible to hold it flat, than quilt the area heavy.

Good luck, hang in there, I'm sure you see it worse than it is, we are our worst critics, see everything.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:08 PM

Could you post a photo of the problem area? Might be more suggestions offered.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:38 PM

I would lay the part that is puckering/warped across the ironing board, hold a steam iron above it & steam the heck out of it. If this doesn't work I would spray it with water, give it a few minutes to absorb the water then gently iron it again. Usually steaming it will work, it's just that that block got distorted somewhere along the line or may be a tad bigger. I hope this works for you
Old 03-10-2011, 03:05 PM

I saw a video about just this topic. It shows how to fix it. I'll see if I can find it, again.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:31 PM

I, of course, have never had this problem either, (ahem) but I have kept this solution in mind---just in case, you understand, that I should actually have a wonky quilt. If it is unrepentent with "spot" steaming, You might try very carefully and very tightly pinning it down to the carpet--use your big square rulers, etc to make sure it is totally as square as you can get it--then spray it generously with water in a spray bottle--just soak it pretty good--and then let it dry completely, on its own, like for 24 hours. Then pressing it, and it will be a lot better, if not perfect. This is called "blocking" and it works. (I've been told.) :lol: :lol: :lol: good luck. Let us know how you come out!
Old 03-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

Depending how bad it is, these will often quilt out. Blocking may help as well but I usually have better luck with blocking when I am trying to coax a block into square or squeak a 1/8" more out of a block. I know there have been posts about cupping tops before and some of the ladies used bra cup sizes to describe the level of warping. I had a lonestar quilt volcano up in the center on me and took it apart and resewed it numerous times and still ended up with about an "a" cup in the center. It quilted out just fine. I can't remember who it was on the board, one of the LAers said she had "C" cups she quilted out. So just quilt the dickens out of this baby and she'll lay flat for you.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

The OBW's are all bias and easily stretched. I would try steaming the area, if it doesn't work, I would consider restitching with a tiny bit bigger seam. Wouldn't take the top apart, just baste a bit bigger seam in that block and if it helps, stitch it on the machine.