Would you let an 11 y.o.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
I'v been thinking of this all evening and frankly I'm wondering why she feels she needs us to give her good reasons to use.

If she has concerns she should address them to her ex.
Who are we to know if there are more serious issues behind her reluctance to willingly let her daughter go. Obviously the GGM is a paternal one.

If I could I'd delete my previous comments so Mom could deal with it on her own.
I don't know her or any of the parties involved., so I have no way of honestly having an opinion.
Sorry.
SHE didn't feel the need at all! This is MY post and I was just curious what a diverse group of people would have to say about the issue.

The Mom IS dealing with it on her own and only mentioned it to me in passing as "can you believe what he wants to let her do now" thing. He is very well know for his irresponsibility so it's nothing new for any of us. She deals with him in an extremely patient and kind manner that he in no way deserves actually.

I completely agree with the portion of the crowd that says it depends on the child and elderly woman. Knowing them both I say no way personally. But it is NOT up to anyone but her Mom and Dad to allow or not quite obviously.

My asking here was curiosity on my part really due to the "dangers" out in the world now. Are they more or less than back when I grew up? I might have liked a London trip when I was 11 but I really no longer want to leave the country.

I found out one thing with this question: I now know which way some of you lean politically :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 03-11-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by ssgramma
Originally Posted by Momsmurf
I'v been thinking of this all evening and frankly I'm wondering why she feels she needs us to give her good reasons to use.

If she has concerns she should address them to her ex.
Who are we to know if there are more serious issues behind her reluctance to willingly let her daughter go. Obviously the GGM is a paternal one.

If I could I'd delete my previous comments so Mom could deal with it on her own.
I don't know her or any of the parties involved., so I have no way of honestly having an opinion.
Sorry.
SHE didn't feel the need at all! This is MY post and I was just curious what a diverse group of people would have to say about the issue.

The Mom IS dealing with it on her own and only mentioned it to me in passing as "can you believe what he wants to let her do now" thing. He is very well know for his irresponsibility so it's nothing new for any of us. She deals with him in an extremely patient and kind manner that he in no way deserves actually.

I completely agree with the portion of the crowd that says it depends on the child and elderly woman. Knowing them both I say no way personally. But it is NOT up to anyone but her Mom and Dad to allow or not quite obviously.

My asking here was curiosity on my part really due to the "dangers" out in the world now. Are they more or less than back when I grew up? I might have liked a London trip when I was 11 but I really no longer want to leave the country.

I found out one thing with this question: I now know which way some of you lean politically :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thank you for the clarification as to the reason behind the initial posting. I appear to have been guilty of misunderstanding the intent. I still stand by my apology for commenting on something that was clearly none of my business and especially basing an opinion and conclusion on a situation fully without the benefit of full knowledge of everything involved.
But I do have one outstanding question, and I'm curious about your comment regarding the political leaning. Just me.
No response necessary. :)
Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 AM

Well, I did say she is looking for any and all ways to say no. Which she is because for those 2 the idea is ludacris, to us anyway. She did NOT know that I asked y'all - I did that all on my own.

Left and right - both often come out clearly.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:28 PM

If you could afford it, get someone to go with them that is of an age in between the other two.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:36 PM

I personally do not feel that the responsibility of an 11 year old should be put on a 90 year old
Old 03-11-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by sall
I personally do not feel that the responsibility of an 11 year old should be put on a 90 year old
I agree...also...Nor do I feel that the responsibility of a 90 year old should be put on an 11 year old...whether or not a spry 90 or mature 11. (is there really such a thing as a "spry" 90? :))

And as far as the comments of "once in a lifetime opportunity" for an 11 year old? Way too soon in the life of an 11 year old to say this is the only chance she will ever get in her lifetime.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:32 PM

When my daughter was 11 she was very mature and would have been able to take care of GGM and herself and would have been able to get around and get help if something would have happened so I think it depends on how mature the daughter is. I am talking in mind and emotions here. Also, what kind of health is GGM in. I think it would be a treat for both of them to be able to go together.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:37 PM

IMHO I would say that it depends on the child. My 9 year old would be totally fine. But I would make sure that she has everything she needs in case of an emergancy and know how to use it. Phone card, cell phone w/ international plan, all emergancy numbers for anybody she can contact. pre-loaded universal visa card and her passport at all times. I mean everything necessary to keep her safe incase something happened to GGM.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:37 PM

Well put. There are many unanswered questions here.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:18 PM

None of us can possibly tell your daughter what to do, but we can suggest a few things to think about and ask. My daughter went to NYC and Toronto with her Dad's mom when she was young (12). Even though our divorce was still pretty fresh, I had no reason to distrust his family or their intentions. I surely couldn't take her and she had a great time. And both of my kids had a hard time with the divorce, but these opportunities gave her a chance to get away from it all and show some responsibility. I surely wouldn't say yes right off, but I wouldn't say no either!!