Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My dog stinks!  what do you use on yours?? >

My dog stinks! what do you use on yours??

My dog stinks! what do you use on yours??

Old 03-11-2011, 04:15 PM

well that old wives tale probably came from someone whose dog resists bathing and is large enough to make it a contest. my millie, about 60 lbs of pound pup, is scared of baths so i have to drag her into the shower. this 'old wife' likes to believe she can't be washed very often!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mary O
As a retired groomer and having bathed over thousands of dogs first make sure he doesn't have a skin problem which can make them smell. Make sure you use a DOG shampoo because their PH is not like humans and baby shampoo is actually not gentle enough for dogs.
I agree completely and I was a groomer for 12 years. It is highly probable that he is getting too much grain in his diet and if his PH balance is off, the smell might be yeast infection (dogs get yeast on their skin, paws, and ears.) Does he ever get hot spots (especially in the summer)? This is a common symptom of a PH/yeast problem.

My favorite shampoos are Lambert Kay Oatmeal and Baking Soda Fresh N Clean or BioGroom Natural Oatmeal. If the odor is not coming from his skin, then consider a silicone based grooming spray like Top Performance GloCoat or The Stuff. It is applied to freshly washed fur and is fantastic for reducing static electricity, tangles, stains, and barrier for "mild" dirt (not a mud puddle) they pick up outside.

A great grooming trick is to use a vinegar rinse. Just mix 50% white vinegar wtih 50% warm water. Wash and rinse your dog and apply vinegar rinse to dog (but not near the face). Let sit for 5 minutes, then towel dry (do not rinse the vinegar off the dog). I promise the smell will completely go away when the dog is completely dry. Vinegar is great for skin/hair and gets rid of odors.

If you would like to know if your dog food might be problematic to his skin, look up http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

our neighbor had a lovely dog who smelled in the summers. not winter but summer. in Houston. hot Houston. we used to pet the dog through the fence but in summer time he didn't get much petting, poor guy. their Vet told them it was nothing they could do. a skin condition of some sort. their house smelled like the dog too.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Angelmerritt
Originally Posted by Mary O
As a retired groomer and having bathed over thousands of dogs first make sure he doesn't have a skin problem which can make them smell. Make sure you use a DOG shampoo because their PH is not like humans and baby shampoo is actually not gentle enough for dogs.
I agree completely and I was a groomer for 12 years. It is highly probable that he is getting too much grain in his diet and if his PH balance is off, the smell might be yeast infection (dogs get yeast on their skin, paws, and ears.) Does he ever get hot spots (especially in the summer)? This is a common symptom of a PH/yeast problem.

My favorite shampoos are Lambert Kay Oatmeal and Baking Soda Fresh N Clean or BioGroom Natural Oatmeal. If the odor is not coming from his skin, then consider a silicone based grooming spray like Top Performance GloCoat or The Stuff. It is applied to freshly washed fur and is fantastic for reducing static electricity, tangles, stains, and barrier for "mild" dirt (not a mud puddle) they pick up outside.

A great grooming trick is to use a vinegar rinse. Just mix 50% white vinegar wtih 50% warm water. Wash and rinse your dog and apply vinegar rinse to dog (but not near the face). Let sit for 5 minutes, then towel dry (do not rinse the vinegar off the dog). I promise the smell will completely go away when the dog is completely dry. Vinegar is great for skin/hair and gets rid of odors.

If you would like to know if your dog food might be problematic to his skin, look up http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html.
Thanks for the info. He does not get hot spots thankfully. We keep him on a pretty strict diet. My lab had sebhorric dermatits and he really smelled horrible. Scruff just stinks like "wet dog". I will try the bath w/ vinegar rinse--I'll letcha know how it goes. He does love a bath and then a dip in the pond, roll in the mud, and stroll thru the woods.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:59 PM

My big yellow Lab smells but it's more his ears than anything else. Due to the shape of his head he has chronic ear problems. Cleaning his ears 2-3 times a week makes him a lot less smelly, plus he's happier. Out of 4 Labs we've had he's the first with ear problems. Our vet says we've been lucky that he's the first.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:35 PM

We are on our 2nd golden,she is almost 14 now and neither of them have ever had any odor so can't help you out.
We do have a wonderful groomer however.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:46 PM

Whoops, double post. :oops:
Old 03-11-2011, 06:48 PM

My vet is relatively young and therefore, recently graduated, plus he has taken continuing classes on dog's skin issues as so many are having problems lately. He is adamant about a dog being bathed no oftener than every three weeks. Drove me crazy when Moira was a smelly dog. Now that her health has improved - she was a starved stray - she has very little odor and hasn't a bath since Oct 9 - just brushing.

Fabric sheets? Not here. Too many chemicals dogs don't need.
Dish detergent - only for a skunked dog. Otherwise it strips the skin too much.
Vinegar/water rinse - go for it. Makes a dark dog shine, too.

Rushdoggie, Lily and Moira are 50% raw fed. Makes for a very healthy dog if it fits with the owner.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by quiltwoman
My stinky man is a 100 lb golden retriever named Scruffy and he is certainly living up to his name!

What do you use on your dog? Does it control the smell for a long time?
My big dog is stinky to he weighs about 60 -70 lbs, I have lower back pain and he fights because he so scared of everything. I'm waiting for it to get warmer so I can take him outside and just hose him down and shampoo, since I can't pick him up and put him in the tub....
Old 03-11-2011, 07:16 PM

My bully , Willie smelled like something had died on him.I gave him a bath. Didn't help. Cleaned his nose wrinkle and found that it was real red.Kept cleaning. Still smelled. Took him to the vet and found out that he had an impacted tooth which was causing all of this. So $500 and 6 laser treatments scheduled for the coming week. He smells much better and feels great.