Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question about "Fresh Eggs"???? >

Question about "Fresh Eggs"????

Question about "Fresh Eggs"????

Old 03-11-2011, 04:43 PM

Ladies you have been so informative....
I 've tried most of the things you have said....I just to tweek some of them, like cracking them in the cold water, keeping them over a cple of wks, vinagar,,,,,,the one that really shocked me was from Redturtle : baking soda.....that was a first.....I will try anything..... Thanks Again!!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:06 PM

Well, I was raised on a egg farm, and the only trouble with those eggs is that they are fresh!. If you buy them in the store, usually there is no problem peeling them, cuz they're not so fresh by then. I have tried various things, but know if I want deviled eggs, I must "age" them about 10 days or so.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:26 PM

You can also use an egg-poaching pan (http://www.google.com/products/catal...n&um=1&ie=UTF-
==================\
When I want a poached egg, I'll put some water in a skillet, put a canning jar lid in it and then a small bowl. I'll spray Pam into it, break one egg, and sometimes just the whites of another one, top with a tight lid and boil it till it's as done as I like it. Sometimes I scramble the egg with salt and pepper, then put it in the little bowl. I'll have nice egg slices to put on sandwiches with a big slice of tomato and cheese.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:34 PM

I place the eggs in cold water and bring to a gentle boil, I boil for 3 minutes, remove from heat immediately and cover. Let sit for 10 minutes. Then plunge into icy water for 3-4 minutes. When I peel I hit one end then the other and 3 whacks around the edge(in different locations) then roll gently back and forth in your hands and start peeling from the fat end. Work for me every time, no dark circles and I do use fresh eggs occasionally. You do have to be gentle.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:12 PM

After boiling, I drain the water and cover them with cold water. Then I add ice cubes to fill up the pan. After they sit for a while... 1/4 -1/2 hour... then crack the eggs. Another half hour and the peel really great.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:54 PM

Add a little vinegar to water and peel while they are still hot. I boil for 15 min, let sit for 10 min and then peel under running tap water...leave eggs to be peeled in the hot water. Works everytime.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 PM

We have our own chickens and I never have any trouble. I boil them for 10 min. Drain them in collander and immediantly plunge them in ice water.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:35 PM

I get my eggs from the neighbors hen house. they are difficult to peel when they are fresh. yep, the fresher the harder to peel.

I add a tsp of soda to the water when i boil them.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:49 PM

Your eggs are too fresh! Yep, believe it or not, eggs must age for about 7 days before they will peel easily. They will still be safe to eat at that age. I lived on a farm when I was younger and that was what we did to make deviled eggs, or any other dish that needed beautifully peeled eggs.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Originally Posted by luv-e
We are buying our eggs from a local farmer and I'm having trouble peeling them?????
I have tried the salt, putting them in cold water..
What else is there to peel them easier???????
Any ideas????? I might have to have someone else bring Deviled Eggs to the picnics this summer..lol lol
Have you tried boiling them first?

HAHAHA ... couldn't resist :)
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbup: