Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence. >

Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence.

Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:35 AM

Here in the UK we would go to our Doctor, or contact our district nurse and discuss catherisation. If Mum is continuously wet then she risks skin breakdown and infection such as thrush. One should not cut down on fluids too much in the elderly. has her urine been tested for an infection? that can cause frequency.
Hope you can get things sorted out. It's a big problem and not very dignified for poor Mum to deal with either.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:42 AM

What good, loving people you all are, and so willing to support each other! This is what makes a truly civilized society!
Old 03-13-2011, 07:20 AM

I recommend you avoid the catheter as infection will be a huge problem. Try to deal with it by the use of pads and diapers. Doubtful you will be able to avoid the laundry.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:54 AM

You can buy several different types of pads commercially made. Some are just plastic. I made cloth pads for my mother using soft flannel for top layered couple pads of absorbant type fabric then layer plastic, vinyl or anything that will act as barrier and then fabric as other side. clean finish edged. Mine were 30 x 36. still have to be washed but hopefully not complete bed. Sharon Moore in OKC
Old 03-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Banned

We alwas used "chucks" for that.The blue pads. They probably call them something else now days.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by tmw
Originally Posted by Caroline S
I am caring for my mother who is is almost 93. She is incontinent. She wears depends and a super absorbant pad at night, but still every morning her bed is still soaked.

I am sure that there is some solution to this problem from others that may have had to deal with this. A nursing home is not an option. But it is frustrating to have to do laundry every day.
could you cut back on her liquids in the late afternoon.?

Generally, with a 90-something person, you don't want to cut down liquids, as the very elderly often dehydrate quickly. Dehydration leads to bladder infections. My mom used to get bladder infections because she wouldn't drink. She didn't even know she had the infections. The odor of her urine was unbelievably strong and offensive when she had a bladder infection, so we knew when she had one and took her to the Dr. She, however, didn't know she had the infection. Apparently the bladder nerves were shot - which is probably why she was incontinent.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:38 AM

Take the bed pads others have suggested that you buy at the medical supply store, and fold them long ways several times and put inside her depends.
Take cwcowls suggestion of the 2 hr schedule, ask the Dr if they will check her for a UTI due to the frequency.
and also add a med for the incontience, { they now have a gel
you use once a day, instead of a pill}
no liquids after 5 or 6 pm except enough to take her bedtime meds with.
Does SHE TAKE A water pill? ie bumex or lasix? if so ask about the timing of it, they may be able to adjust the time of day its given.
dealing with it all the time. Hope this helps
Old 03-13-2011, 08:40 AM

If you happen to be a fabic hoarder like me take some of your less liked fabric and make huge soak pads---using battine and
canvas or rubber sheeting--plastic shower curtains are too
slippery and can lead to other problems like falling of slipping out of bed---can go to goodwin and buy old sheets and use also--I know how costly throw away diaper can be. Hope ideas help.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:41 AM

We still call them "chucks" but they are in the computer
as "underpads"
Some of us "old" nurses never change our vocabulary.LOL
Old 03-13-2011, 08:52 AM

Generally, with a 90-something person, you don't want to cut down liquids, as the very elderly often dehydrate quickly. Dehydration leads to bladder infections. My mom used to get bladder infections because she wouldn't drink. She didn't even know she had the infections. The odor of her urine was unbelievably strong and offensive when she had a bladder infection, so we knew when she had one and took her to the Dr. She, however, didn't know she had the infection. Apparently the bladder nerves were shot - which is probably why she was incontinent.[/quote]

That is the same situation with my mother. She has to drink a lot of water, which she hates, to prevent the bladder infections. Sort of a catch 22 situation.