Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Lostn51
That is really unique that it has a friction drive motor on the machine and it has the Singer badge on it. Normally you would have the belt driven motors on the machine since the handwheel has the provisions for it. Makes me think this was a "Dealer installed item".

Singer were first using electric motors on their machines in 1898. Billy
Billy.... is there a source document about the first electric motors/Singers etc? I'd like to print it out of my FIL who's a retired technician/engineer who didn't believe me when I said that sewing machines were first electrifed prior to 1900... I don't know enough about it, to be able to give facts... so of course, I couldn't back up my statement...
I found it somewhere on the Smithsonian website. Let me go look and see what I can find.

Billy
Old 03-14-2011, 08:17 PM

Any one know of the New Seamstress machines? I found one at a antique store this weekend. They wanted $150 and it had attachments, but I am not sure they are all there. Very nice looking machine. Thanks Pat
Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
As I was looking, I had to pass up quite a few machines-in Litchfield, a rockateer(sp) in a really neat cabinet that I would love to have had. No room in the car. :hunf: In Hillsboro where I pickup up the Redeye, I had to leave a treadle. No room in the car. Found in Vandalia-1. a New Home that I wish I could have taken that had West Germany on it with a really nice cabinet and when I lifted the head, it said Belleville, Ill. on it. No room in the car. :hunf: 2. a 66 treadle with sphinx decals, poor baby was in bad shape, looked kind of lonely. No room in the car :hunf: 3. another one for $20 rough shape, looking for a good home, maybe next time if still there. No room in the car. :hunf: 4. Singer with a coffin lid-wanted $80 for it and I passed for a few reasons. One was no room in the car.
You need to travel in a VAN, or one of those panel trucks like the American Picker guys drive...
Old 03-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
Congratulations, Nancy! The quilt is beautiful, and to think it was all done with vintge machines!
My electroninc machine just quit working his afternoon. The power just went out. So I am on my FW and enjoying the stitching. And if there is a problem, I can fix it. I don't dare get into the electronic machine!
Thank you Shemjo! No I would not "get into" an electronic/computer type machine!

Nancy
Old 03-14-2011, 08:36 PM

Miss Nancy I really like the idea of using differnet machines to do different things. I can't wait to use the binding attachment on one of my machines. And that is a lovely quilt! Like tarzan the man also.
Well 23, you will just have to get a Davis Vertical Feed next trip out! Those machines do not have feed dogs, they walk the fabric like a walking foot -- great to do bindings -- no buckling -- no unwanted gathers!

Nancy
Old 03-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Beautiful! Nancy, I love that you shared with us how each machine that you used had a different task in assembling and creating this beautiful quilt. Happy to read that you got your Davis Vertical Feed working for you too. I love seeing the quilts that others create with their vintage machines. Thanks for sharing!
This is the first quilt I had the nerve to try "Betty" for the binding! Man does she grunt and groan, but she gets the job done! So much fun actually using the Vertical Feed machine. She loosened up a lot by the time I finished attaching that binding. The quilt is only 65x86, but it was 302 inches that old gal had to attach -- at first she really groaned -- then she got into it and the binding went very smoothly. I love having each machine set up for something specific!

I have to laugh when I wonder what my mother would say if she saw me now! I am sure she'd think I am crazy!

Nancy
Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Oh that is Tarzan the Man, my 3.5 pound chihuahua!

I love the quilt and I dont think I would mess with Tarzan he looks like he would tear your head off if you messed with his quilt!!

Bily
Billy you are funny! Tarzan is the sweetest little thing ever, and he has 3 siblings!

Nancy
Old 03-14-2011, 09:12 PM

Nett2 Beautiful red-eye, I love that foot pedal. I sure do hope that your dh can get it to work it's so sweet.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
As I was looking, I had to pass up quite a few machines-in Litchfield, a rockateer(sp) in a really neat cabinet that I would love to have had. No room in the car. :hunf: In Hillsboro where I pickup up the Redeye, I had to leave a treadle. No room in the car. Found in Vandalia-1. a New Home that I wish I could have taken that had West Germany on it with a really nice cabinet and when I lifted the head, it said Belleville, Ill. on it. No room in the car. :hunf: 2. a 66 treadle with sphinx decals, poor baby was in bad shape, looked kind of lonely. No room in the car :hunf: 3. another one for $20 rough shape, looking for a good home, maybe next time if still there. No room in the car. :hunf: 4. Singer with a coffin lid-wanted $80 for it and I passed for a few reasons. One was no room in the car.
You need to travel in a VAN, or one of those panel trucks like the American Picker guys drive...
My thoughts, exactly! Trade off that car, buy a van/truck!! :lol:
Old 03-15-2011, 04:50 AM

I removed my Domestic from its cabinet and put it and the coffin lid and 3 drawers in the back seat. Then put the cabinet on the front passenger seat of my Jeep Wrangler, strapped it in with the seat belt and went home with it.