Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Live Your Passion! By rkmquilts >

Live Your Passion! By rkmquilts

Live Your Passion! By rkmquilts

Old 03-15-2011, 05:41 AM

3/15/11

"Little by little, one walks far."

-Peruvian Proverb

My love for quilting began many years ago. My sister and I would often spend some of our summer vacation with my mother's family in Illinois and every year my grandma would have quilt pieces cut up and stacked up on tv trays next to her rocking chair. I always thought it was fascinating watching her hand piece with those tiny stitches. She would oftentimes show us the quilts she had made since our last visit. Usually, it was quite a stack-since we lived "so far away" in Iowa!

I didn't know it then, but my love for this art would grow into my passion many years later. She knew somehow I think that she was passing something down to me around sixteen when I bought a panel of stamped embroidery blocks to make a quilt for myself and asked her how much fabric I would need to complete it. This even involved a "long distance" call to her one Saturday morning from my mother! We wanted to get it right! Sad to say, I never finished those blocks, nor do I have the dimensions for that quilt that she carefully planned out, but something emerged through that experience... a tiny bud of creativity.

From that time on for the next several years, I wanted to quilt but sadly didn't know anyone who did it "like my grandma". Boy, if she only knew how many women I asked to teach me!

My first "real" quilt was a baby quilt for a friend of mine. I didn't have a sewing machine yet, but I was determined! I hand embroidered a panel and then put it all together by hand-binding and all! (Shortly after hearing that, my mother in law thankfully gave me her sewing machine when she "upgraded" to a newer model-THANK HEAVEN!) From that experience, I learned I am not a hand quilter...see how all of these "little things" led me one step at a time to where I am now-a professional quilter?

Yep, I have been quilting now for over 25 years. Some of you have many more years behind your machines and needles than I do, some have less. That's ok!

I remembered the first Quilter's Newsletter magazine I bought. I was overwhelmed at the designs and directions and thought I would never be able to accomplish such a feat! But now, hey it's not a problem!

Where are you on your path to discovering your passion? What skills have you developed along the way? Is there a new technique you'd like to learn to master? If so, call your nearest quilt shop, community center or fabric store. There are classes being held all the time! Get out there! Meet others in your passion area-you never know, the two of you could just become the next "Fons & Porter" team!

Live Your Passion!
Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Of 9 granddaughters my grandmother had I'm the only one who quilts. My mother quilted when I was young and would quilt the wedding quilts my grandmother made for the grandkids wedding gifts. In recent years I have had the honor of hand quilting 3 tops my grandmother pieced. Each day I learn something new in the quilt world......Quilting has become my passion. Thanks for sharing your story:)
Old 03-15-2011, 06:38 AM
pab

what a wonderful journey!Thanks for sharing pab
Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 AM

I am the only one in my family that quilts. My grandmother made exquisite doll clothes and clothes for me but she did not quilt. I am hoping one of my two granddaughter will be interested once she gets out of those mid-teen years. LOL