Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Self taught quilter missing the basics >

Self taught quilter missing the basics

Self taught quilter missing the basics

Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
If you spend the time and effort in the prep work, the rest will be easier. Accuracy in cutting, accuracy in a consistent seam allowance, pressing so the blocks can nest, squaring up the blocks.....It is a pain to be sure, but the top will be better for it.
Boring, but accuracy and consistency do pay off in the long run.

And it sure makes for a nicer looking top!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 AM

Great thread. I've only read the first 3 pages so far.... and picked up about a dozen! tips. (I'm a newbie too... only quilting on and off for 3 years or so). Before that, I did home dec and costuming.... and I have found that while I can create some fancy, smancy historical costumes with some seriously hard 'couture' detailing, topstitching, insertions and the like...BUT... I can't sew a perfect 1/4" seam to save my life! lol!

So here's my tip/what works for me: I have to sew at a steady, medium speed and use my 1/4" foot that has the lip that hangs down. (you push the fabric edges up to that lip.) I have the other kind of 1/4" foot, that just measures the 1/4"... but ya think I can keep the seam exact with that? Heck no.
I expect it's something in the water.... lol!!!!

Oh... and when the books tell you to just "lock the seams" and stitch the blocks together without pinning them... do not believe them! They lie! Take the extra time to pin your block/piece intersections all the time. When working with bias edges (like sewing seams on triangles inside the block) pin before you sew all along the edge to help stabilize the fabric. Carol Doak said it best, "Honey, ignore what I say and do what WORKS for you!"
Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Thank you so much Deb!!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
Originally Posted by grammy17
Oh--this is about quilting?...I thought this was therapy class.
OH I too thought this therapy...lol I so need it! Due to being sick with a lung infection & no motivation I haven't even peeked in for awhile.....I have missed all of you.
Hi Dee.... here's a hug to help you feel better. >>> I'm sorry you've been so sick. Welcome back... but take it easy. No late night "surf Boarding" for you! If you were near me, I'd bring you some of my homemade chicken soup or homemade italian wedding soup. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:01 AM

For those who don't want to wade through all the postings for all the tips, I've compiled them into a Word document. If you want to PM me with your email address, I can send it your way.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by debp33
Originally Posted by kathy
i think most of us are learning on our own and if we ever quit learning....we're dead! :shock: good luck and hang in there, we're all in this together
OH I too thought this therapy...lol I so need it! Due to being sick with a lung infection & no motivation I haven't even peeked in for awhile.....I have missed all of you.
If I weren't a self taught quilter I probably wouldn't be a quilter, as I am not the easiest person to teach things to, just ask my kids who always said it was just easier to do it for me...but they have since long moved out & left me on my own....so I thank all of you who are so willing to share your knowledge & kindness.
Welcome back, craftiladi. Hope you are on the mend!
Thanks Deb thats was very thoughtful, its a very slow process, 1 step forward then 5 steps back sorta deal...never would have thought a cold would have turned into a 3 month ordeal. The nice thing is I actually had quilty urges today...I was getting worried..lol
Old 03-15-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Hi Dee.... here's a hug to help you feel better. >>> I'm sorry you've been so sick. Welcome back... but take it easy. No late night "surf Boarding" for you! If you were near me, I'd bring you some of my homemade chicken soup or homemade italian wedding soup. Hope you feel better soon!
Gosh I knew I should have forced myself to come to the boards...I have recieved so many nice get wells today, I feel better already. You guys are the best.
Oh haven't had italian wedding soup in years, if you were closer I would gladly accept it..Thanks:}
Old 03-15-2011, 05:45 PM

I learn something everytime I get on this board and everytime I read one of my quilting books or magazines. I read them over and over again and find new things every time. Good luck
Old 03-21-2011, 11:10 AM

It all comes in time...listen alot...I still learn new things~
Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 PM

I sympathize with the lung issue--just got out of the hospital (9 days) with an asthma exascerbation. Thought my useful life was over for a few weeks! I'm now healing and ramping up my strength and energy so I can go back to a very intense job. But while I'm home, thought I'd order a few jelly rolls to try out the book my daughter got to help occupy my time. I may be very weak right now, but with the addition of some actual oxygen into my system, I am able to think, and am planning the design around the strips. Hope you are feeling much better by now.