Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
corned beef >

corned beef

corned beef

Old 03-14-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by KimmieH
Do you have a fool proof way of cooking it?
Looking for a recipe that comes out nice & tender!

KimmieH
Steam it, low and slow is the advice that I have for you.

What I do is to put my corned been on a rack which is elevated on either cans, or cups (anything that can tolerate the heat) put a little bit of water, or au jus (broth) to cover the bottom of the pan and simmer for hours to allow the juices from the beef to fall down. KEEP the pan COVERED, this not only keeps the steam in, it also allows the beef to remain tender. :thumbup: Hope you enjoy your Corned Beef dinner!

TreeFrog
Old 03-15-2011, 05:40 AM

more great tips..thanks
Icon17...LOL this looks tried & true...love the notes & splatters on the receipe card..looks like it could have come out of my kitchen :)

Kelly.....bring both!! I wish I could be home sewing while it cooks...darn day job screws everything up

Kim
Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by KimmieH
thanks! dinner tomorrow night if you want to come over!
I'm in California; if I hurry I might be able to get a flight. What time is dinner????? LOL
Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 AM

My method is to put it in the slow cooker, add 1 Cup water and 1 Cup apple juice. My secret is to buy McCormick's Pickling Spice and add a bunch to the pot. The aroma is wonderful and those packets of spice are lame! Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or high for 4 to 5 hours. I transfer the liquid to a pot and cook my carrots, potatoes and cabbage on top of the stove. Yummy!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:18 PM

I put a brisket in the crock pot with a can of cranberry sauce with whole cranberries and a pack of lipton onion soup mix. Let it cook for eight to ten hours on low. I strain the juice and use it for gravy.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:23 PM

I got this off of Allrecipies.com. I've made it every year for the past 7 or 8 years. It is WONDERFUL. The best tasting and the easiest one I've ever made

4 pounds corned beef brisket
1 cup brown sugar
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle Irish stout beer (e.g. Guinness®)
I also mix 1 teaspoon of dried mustard powder with the sugar.

Pat the brown sugar onto the top of the beef in a roasting pan. Pour the guiness over the meat. Cover and roast at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.
YUM
Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 AM

Here is another way to cook your corned beef:

Wash the corned beef with cold water and put it into a crockpot. Add about 6 or 7 big cloves of garlic, peeled, any bags of spices that came with the beef PLUS more (pickling spices) to your liking, about a tablespoon of whole allspice, small dried red chilies (to your liking - I usually add about 6 or 7) and a tablespoon of whole juniper berries. Cover with cold water and cook for 7 to 8 hours. I cook the carrots on top of the stove and then I make Colcannon (a mashed potato dish that I add shredded cabbage and chopped green onions to that have been sauteed and also chopped crispy bacon).
Old 03-16-2011, 07:21 PM

Mmmmm..... Looking forward to my Corned Beef and Cabbage tomorrow.
I put the corned beef in a crock pot on low in the morning before work. Cover with water, add spices, one sliced onion (I wish I had some more pickling spices to add) some garlic and some pepper)
Have my daughter (hopefully) come over to the house and add potatoes and baby carrots around 3-3:30 and then when I get home at 5:30 ish I plan on either chopping up the cabbage and adding it or taking some of the liquid and cook the cabbage on the stove.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:32 PM

Simmer in pot with 1 bottle of beer and pickling spices. Add water just enough to cover meat with the liquid. When almost done, add cabbage and red potatoes. Meat is done when fork tender. Erin-Go-Braugh or whatever!!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

Wow that sounds good.