Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine? >

How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:11 AM

I have done up to a Queen on a $50 walmart brother machine. It can be done. It was only straight line quilting with a walking foot but it still turned out fantastic.
Good Luck!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Izy
Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
I use my regular sewing machine with a walking foot. It's very difficult, though, to quilt more than a lap sized quilt. Those sewing machine beds are not very big.
I too use my domestic Janome 9000, I have quited king size quilts on it by quilting them in two halves then joining them up..where there is a will there is a way..plus you have QAYG

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Love my Janome 9000 for quilting & its the only one I use for FMQ :)
Old 03-16-2011, 04:18 AM

I use my Janome 6600P just for the quilting. I am still mostly do STD and some FMQ (just meandering). I have done about 12 King size quilts. I can make lots of tops but still find the quilting part the hardest to do.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:20 AM

I quilt on my Janome 509, but mainly just SID, "X's" and straight lines. I did a 90 x 90 quilt around Christmas; it was pretty hard to stuff it through that little throat, but I did it! I have a book on "easy" FMQ that I want to try so we'll see how well I do with that. :)
Old 03-16-2011, 04:24 AM

I use my Diamond or my Topaz with a long throat. I usually use the SID but also use the embroidery hoop. I am trying to learn FMQ but it's not going too well. Would love a long arm but space, money, and the ability are an issue.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:35 AM

I quilt on my Kenmore. I just couldn't imagine spending all that money for LA service, that adds up to a whole lot of fabric I could buy for more quilts.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:35 AM

What do you set your machine stitches on. I have an eyelash effect on the back, I use a walking foot and my stitch length seems ok. I still need much practice .
Old 03-16-2011, 04:43 AM

I've just finished my first machine quilted baby quilt. It's a bit of a disaster and wish I had hand quilted it. I have a Janome and walking foot. I hand basted the quilt. The basting threads got tangled in the foot and kept pulling so that some of the stitches are uneven. Although the back looks ok, the front has a few puckers. I used Hobbs 80/20 cotton batting and 100% cotton fabric on the front. Maybe the flannel backing was not compatible. I also used Masterpiece thread in the bobbin. I haven't washed it yet so is it likely that some shrinkage will reduce the puckers? I think I will stick to hand quilting.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:48 AM

I have a cheap brothers regular machine short neck and I do my best with what I have. And I can't complain the few lap throws, twin and 1 queen quilt look ok. My family will appreicate it even with mistakes in it.That short neck is a killer. I've only been quilting since Sept 2010.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:50 AM

I have quilted 2 full size quilts on my Brother machine and as stated before-it can be done, just takes a lot of patience. I roll them as tight as I can and start from the center and move out from there-lots of basting and pinning helps!