Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine? >

How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 AM

I use mt sewing machine to quilt. I don't have room for a longarm. I do enjoy being able to say I made the whole quilt.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 AM

I have a White machine from Joann Fabrics (nothing special). I have a walking foot and a FM foot. I have done 2 kings, a queen and multiple baby/lap quilts. I can't afford a long arm and I am one who wants to finish my own quilts so I make it work. It is a long and tiring process sometimes but I love it and have been pleased with the results:)
Old 03-16-2011, 05:15 AM

I have done many a quilt on my Juki of which a few were king size. I use the puddle method. At times it takes some maneuvering but it is so rewarding to be able to say "I did it myself on my domestic machine."
Old 03-16-2011, 05:37 AM

At the age of 75, I started quilting about 5 months ago. So far, I have completed 5 quilts (twin or regular size) and have quilted all of them on my sewing machine. I do great with the walking foot; but my free motion quilting is not perfect. I enjoy the FMQ and am getting better with each quilt. I'd encourage you to try machine quilting. I love it!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:40 AM

I currently use a Viking Quilt Designer for my mahcine quilting.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I have always quilted on my regular machine..started on a very old Singer and now quilt on my regular Bernina with a BSR. I do any kind of FMQ that I want and do any size quilt that I want. I think the largest was 109" x 95". The center is a bit of trouble to get situated, but it is certainly possible...a LA, while nice...isn't a neccesity!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:19 AM

My Dh just got me a Husqavarna Sapphire 830, it has floating free motion quilting and I am loving it. A lot depends on the thread that I have tried to use to FMQ with and this machine appears to love Connecting Threads cone thread, I also spray baste my quilts and I must learn to not over spray. Last 3 day weekend I did a king size, over sized queen, toddlers and baby quilt using the new machine. I don't hink I could ever afford of justify a long arm but the 10 inches on the Sapphire is a dream.
Janet
Old 03-16-2011, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I do. I have Janome 6500. It has a slightly larger troath opening so that helps and I love my knee lifter and automatic thread cutter.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:33 AM

As everyone is pointing out, I have just found that I used the wrong batting, too large a quilt to "be successful" for the first time, I id use a walking foot, and had the stitch regulator on 4 but I completed two STITD rows and am now taking out every single tiny, tiny stitches. Did I say TINY? It looked so bad. I did not have the pins/basting correct (LAZY and wanting to get started too QUICK!) and the two rows "bunched" up and that was totally unacceptable. I have also found that if I am in a "stressful" mood, then I should just stay away from the machine. Instead of starting with the vertical rows first, I am going to do the shorter horizontal rows; I have read to do reverse top/bottom rows as you do the rows; so I am trying that also. I still have one row to take out before I TRY this again! My poor quilt.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:35 AM

I use my Pfaff all the time and I love it!