Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine? >

How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

How many of you machine quilt with you regular machine?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:06 AM

I have started quilting my large quilts on my Janome 6600. I ma getting better each time. I am almost finished w/a Full size bed quilt and I am super happy with it. I have several Full size quilts to do and a couple of King size. I found that if I set up a table to the left of my machine and a table behind my machine I have alot of flat surface for my quilt to lay on and it is not dragging. I don't roll it, I just scrunch and get to the part I want to quilt and work on it and then shift.

When I FMQ, I set the tension to 7 and go from there. I haven't had any problems w/eyelashes since - UNLESS I make a curve way too fast. I have started slowing down my hands and the machine and that also seems to help. Faster is not always better!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:10 AM

I quilt with my sewing machine too. Only smaller quilts, with maximum 48 inches sidelengh, I'm willing to quilt from hand. For machine quilting I take my Carina or my Pfaff. The largest quilt I've quilted was 75"x60" and it was a really hard work with the machine. Next time when I have this size, I would give this size away for quilting

this was the quilt 75x60"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]170524[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-170519.jpe
Views:	46
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	170524  
Old 03-16-2011, 08:13 AM

Also be sure to check out Leah Day's website:

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

She has a ton of great videos on different designs in free-motion quilting with a domestic machine.

I have quilted on all of my machines, including Singers and Brothers. It takes practice but it can be done! The book "Machine Quilting in Sections" by Marti Michell is another good resource.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:55 AM

I've used my Viking, Designer 1 machine for all my quilting so far. I have an industrial machine that as soon as I figure out how to drop the feed dogs on, I would like to use it.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:06 AM

I have a regular Elna that I've used for years and it works fine for quilting - even free motion. I purchased a jumping/darning foot for free motion quilting because the one that came with my machine was horrible. You can call the manufacture to see exactly which one you need to buy if you don't have one.

Before trying free motion on your machine, you'll probably need to adjust your tension and stitch length.

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...-or-speed.html
Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 AM

My old mechanical Pfaff 262 (on right in avatar) has an 8 " harp and I have an all metal walking foot for it which works great. I also do FMQ on it. My Pfaff 2170 has a 7 " harp and has IDT built in. I also have Pfaff's Quilter's Toolbox with nice accessories as well for that machine. I like this machine for smaller things but for FMQ I like the old stocky 262 solid strength and smoothness. I also have an old black Pfaff 130 and like the 262 it has an 8" harp. For FMQ it is the best of all for smoothness for it is solid as a rock.

Just FYI, the Pfaff Quilt Expressions have a 10" harp, and the Janome Horizon has an 11" harp which supposedly is the largest made.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:25 AM

Yep, do my quilting on my Singer -- straight lines with attached walking foot and FM with darning foot. Largest was a twin 75 x 90. Oh, that was a struggle through that small harp! :x
Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 AM

Before I got my long arm a year ago I quilted all of my quilts and table toppers on my Regular Kenmore machine with a walking foot and darning foot. Now of course, all quilts are done on the long arm but I still like to do table toppers and small ones on my Kenmore.I rather enjoy it too.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by Patchworkmarion
I do with my Janome 66P.Have taken lots of classes,but it all comes down to PRACTISE.The more your try the better you get.Good luck.
I have this machine too and agree that the keyword is PRACTICE!!! So many ppl expect to be able to sit down and FMQ just like that and I see ppl on here posting that so and so is 'lucky to be able to FMQ' - it's not luck, it's putting in the work! I mostly do small art quilts and hangings, up to about 5' square but have and can do bigger through my Janome's 9" harp.

If you plan the quilting right, you can do any size you like in one piece. Katrine is one of the best ppl I know for this - look at her 'Starstruck' http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-62514-1.htm - all done on her Janome 6600 in her teeny tiny sewing room! I know because I've been there!

Now I'd love an LA one day, when I can afford it, but for now, I'm happy with my Janome. :-D
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what is a ppl?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:27 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vschieve
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what is a ppl?
Its an abbreviation for 'people' - sorry, laziness on my part! :lol: