Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you use on the bottom of your purses? >

what do you use on the bottom of your purses?

what do you use on the bottom of your purses?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:30 PM

I just finished crocheted bag (crocheted of size 10 thread) and fabric lined. It was very floppy so I cut plastic canvas to fit and tacked it onto the bottom between the lining and the crochet. Seems to have worked out very well.

Inexpensive too (besides, I had it in "stock")
Old 03-16-2011, 07:42 PM

I use foam board. You can get it in the craft dept. at Walmart or the Dollar store.Cut it to fit and make a sleeve to fit it. Hope that helps.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:45 PM

What a coincidence! I was at the fabric store the other day when somebody next to me at the cutting counter brought up that question. The answer was to look in the section with the pellon. There ought to be a roll of very stiff interfacing made especially for the bottom of bags and purses.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by mamaheath
I just made a purse today and need suggestions as what to put on the bottom of the bag. Those plastic bag bottoms are not big enough. Its just to stablize the bottom of the bag. The one thing I can think of would be a photomat cut down to the size needed. The bag is by Quilts Illustrated and its the Camilla bag.

What can you think of?
Plastic canvas - or any sturdy/stiff plastic item which can be cut to size. When we have our own bags, we will probably remember to remove the bottom and cover when laundering, but if the bags are gifts or are sold to others, the bottoms should be washable in case the owner does not remember to remove.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:10 AM

I use an old game board (Monopoly, Candy Land, etc), cut to size. They are made of very durable cardboard and are coated. Then I place it inside of a pillowcase to fit the board. I don't sew the pillowcase closed, just fold over and tick under the board, so it can be washed when the bag is washed.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by AKDaffyodil
I use the plastic sheets that come in the ArtBin boxes. They are usually big enough to cut to size for a purse.
I put 2 of these together using double sided tape, wrap in thin batting and make a sleeve to match the lining.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:28 AM

I use 2 layers of mat board that I always ask for after I have a picture framed. I wrap them together with fabric the matches or coordinates with the inside of the bag and just duct tape the bottom where you don't see it.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by mamaheath
I just made a purse today and need suggestions as what to put on the bottom of the bag. Those plastic bag bottoms are not big enough. Its just to stablize the bottom of the bag. The one thing I can think of would be a photomat cut down to the size needed. The bag is by Quilts Illustrated and its the Camilla bag.

What can you think of?
How about foam core/board...1/4 in thick and cover with fabric!!
Old 03-17-2011, 03:57 PM

I also use plastic canvas enclosed in a sleeve. Pros: keeps it shape; lightweight (carry enough stuff in my bag so try to avoid any extra weight LOL), washable; inexpensive; easy to cut, can doubled if needed.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:21 PM

I use Timtex & cover it with fabric to match lining. I make it removable so the purse can be washed & the bottom stays stiff.