Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What is a typical meal at your home? >

What is a typical meal at your home?

What is a typical meal at your home?

Old 03-17-2011, 03:54 PM

I am very hungry in the morning and have a huge breakfast of eggs, meat, potatoes, biscuits and gravy, or french toast or pancakes, fruit, milk etc. etc. My DH can go all day on just a cup of coffee. Not me, I would get dizzy and weak. He likes a quick lunch and I'm usually not hungry then. He wants a big supper with meat, one starch, 2 veggies and always dessert. I can go with a bowl of cereal or fruit. We are both retired and I'm no longer cooking big meals for the kids. My Dad always said to "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and supper like a pauper." My doctor agrees. I can't sleep if I eat a big meal in the evening. It dosen't bother DH as he often eats a big bowl of icecream before bed! Guess its true that opposites attract.:)
Old 03-17-2011, 04:52 PM

Hubby has been in the hospital a lot since Dec 3rd. He is in again so 1 toast for breakfast soup (homemade) for lunch. Supper a can of cream style corn and lots of water all day. Many times I eat a can of vegtables.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingrandmafromMi
Originally Posted by raedar63
Wow you all are some healthy eaters!

i am the typical old fashioned farm wife cook. meat, potatoes,homemade noodles, vegies, buiscuits or bread.... Ugh no wonder I'm fat!
I'm relating to u sista! This is how I still cook too! Love the home made noodles!
I'm with you there, but can't eat that way now, I do cook that way for other people, they still like to eat that way once in a while. They don't get that kind of cooking at their home.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:10 PM

every breakfast has been the same for a long time. a dannon yogurt and a banana. I make our big meal at lunch time.... veggies, salad,meat, rarely a dessert. and for supper we fend for ourselves.(course it is only hubby and me). seems to work for us,,,(supper lots of times is cereal).

jacie
Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 PM

I hate to cook anymore.. I used to love to cook.. but I have cooked and cooked and cooked.. Now that it's only my hubby and me.. and he won't eat much of anything 'different', like almost all veggies, or casseroles.. there isn't much we haven't had a thousand times in 41 years.. I hate to shop, I hate to cook, and I hate to clean it all up while watching him eat a bowl of cereal because he didn't want to eat his supper.. then worst of all, I hate to throw anything away, so I end up eating it as leftovers for lunch... geeze, who signed me up for that?
Old 03-17-2011, 09:30 PM

yeh for the above, and who eats the leftovers? I used to, now I keep it for one day, then ask on day two if he'd eat it if I warmed it up,if the answer is NO ,,, I pitch it.ye, who signed you up for that/??? not me !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 11:04 PM

I love a good breakfast of oatmeal with fruit and nuts. Sometimes I'll eat a hard boiled egg or bread and margarine. This will last me for most of the day until early dinner. I like to make soups out of legumes while I sew. No lunch usually. Dinner consists of the soups. But on other days its protein, starch and veggie/salad. I hate making green salads, but do make some nice ones with kidney beans, garbanzos, egg, etc. No salad dressing on mine, just salad vinegar and EVOO. Do enjoy desserts but avoid them as much as possible.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 AM

I also like beans or green peas in my salad & always use olive oil & rice vinegar for dressing.
One of my fav ways of having beans ready for salad/or as my salad alone is to mix 3 cans of drained beans.My choice is usually great northern,kidney & black beans.Add garlic powder or fresh diced garlic,pepper & italian seasoning.....along with olive oil & rice vinegar.Keeps in fridge for a long time.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:46 AM

A normal day here would be:

Fruit shake for breakfast- flax seeds, almonds, banana and blue or straw berries.

Lunch- salad or leftovers fromt he night before

supper- LARGE salad and home made soup or casserole

We eat mainly a beans and greens diet.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:35 AM

poptarts or cereal and hot chocolate for breakfast.
Lunch is what ever is left over, because it is just me.
Dinner is usually meat, potatoes, and dessert or pizza or pasta with dessert. sometimes snacks between include granola bars, popcorn or cookies