Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Backing fabrics... which is better? Cut or torn? >

Backing fabrics... which is better? Cut or torn?

Backing fabrics... which is better? Cut or torn?

Old 03-18-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by ljgraham
Torn is fine. Sometimes when I tear fabric it does not tear straight. Is it me or the fabric.
One hundred percent cotton will tear straight, so your issue might be that it is a blend.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:15 PM

here in the uk I think the majority of shops always cut - I went to one once where they tore it and it was just to painful to watch so I never went back!!!!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:11 AM

Tearing is fine with me.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Power Poster

Torn gets my vote.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:29 AM

I am also in the tear group...just believe it make the fabric more true to the grain.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:51 AM
Banned

everything torn.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:53 AM

I would rather have it cut
Old 03-19-2011, 06:58 AM

torn fabric also weakens the fabric around it, so whether or not i'm paying for it i prefer cut. considering the price per yard these days, an extra few inches doesn't make that big a difference in my total price.

btw, as you said, they all tear crooked anyway, and most stores wont give you extra inches for free, sometimes as many as 6, to compensate for that crookedness. 3 " on one end and 3" on the other adds up.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Another thread on the forum has me wondering how most people prefer their backing fabric purchases to be handled.

We cut - not tear - our fabrics.

But... if a fabric is wrapped crookedly on the bolt, that creates a problem. And backing fabrics are folded not once, but twice, which magnifies any wrapping issues.

We once carried the inexpensive backing fabrics, and those were wrapped so crookedly that we swore we would NEVER carry them again. We would had to give an extra FOOT on every cut, to be sure that the customer was not going to come up short. (And yes, we actually did give the extra foot, for free.) And I'm very glad that those backings are all gone now. Good riddance!

Every shop does need to have some backings, though, and we chose to try again with a nice group from Wilmington. http://www.favoritefabric.com/cgi/co...t_backing.html

I did a test-tear on one of the bolts to check the grain, and it is still off, though not by as much.

So I'm putting it out to the forum, to ask what would you prefer? That we tear the fabric, giving an extra 3" on the cut to allow for the warped and wavy edges... or that we cut the fabric, giving an extra 6" to allow for the crooked wrap?

Please don't base your answer on "Gee, do I want 3 inches for free or 6 inches for free?" ... that's not the point. The question at the heart of this is, in order to receive the amount of fabric that you need and are paying for, straight and not warped, are you happier/more comfortable with tearing, or cutting, given that this is a backing fabric?

I know I can always count on the Quilting Board members for thoughful answers... so please let me know what your opinion is.
Cut mine for sure :!:
Old 03-19-2011, 08:23 AM

I have never had a problem either way.But I tear my fabric at home.Most of the shops I go to cut it,but will tear it if you ask them.
Happy Quilting
Lady Di