Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel for batting >

Flannel for batting

Flannel for batting

Old 01-06-2007, 02:10 AM

Hi, I am very new to quilting and I am almost finish with my first one. I think I am going to use flannel as my batting. It seems easier to work with. Thanks to all the veteran quilters out there.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:15 AM

I always use white vinegar (about 1/2 cup) and cold water when prewashing any new colored fabric, no matter what color it is. I haven't had a problem yet.

Carole
Old 01-08-2007, 04:42 PM

I have used flannel in a coat instead of batting. I made The Storm at Sea
quilt for our son who lives in Florida, and I used thinsulate batting. He uses the quilt all year long.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:48 PM

Flannel is also wonderful for using on table runners. It helps make them
lay nice and flat. It also washes up nice too.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:21 AM

Ok I keep reading about using flannel but I am confused. When I think of flannel I think of like flannel shirts. But when I go to the fabric store the flannel they have usually has childrens designs on it and can some times be expensive.
I am making my sister Strawberry Placemats and it sounds like the flannel would be a good idea for a backing. If I did that would I still put batting in between or just the top and the back? Also I was going to buy a nice green small dot for the backing so I could fold it over for the backing, if I use the flannel for the back could I still buy some green polka dot to use for the binding?
If I use flannel in between on a quilt do you get something pretty or just find some ugly print off the bargain shelf?
I know these are stupid questions, I'm not real sure about fabric, the gals at my fabric store are really nice but of course they are trying to make a profit.
Thanks for all your help.
Betsy :D
Old 01-10-2007, 07:46 AM

Hi try a quilt shop for more varity of flannel, they usually have solids as well as prints. also try on line if yu cannnot find any thing where you live, or your shop may be willing to order something for you.Always use the best fabrics you can afford. Why make something and not have it last. and the results are much more satisfying . good frabic speeks for itself when you look at a compleated project.I go on line and buy flannel sheets usually landsend or Pennys, it is a great bargan for qulaity frabic.All the questions yu asked are good ones, how do you learn? and that is what lines like this are for. good luck
Old 01-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Sis

Location: Born a SE Ohio Buckeye,now a Middle Tennessee Volunteer

Betsy,
No question is stupid!!! Asking questions is how most of us have learned-please, don't be afraid to ask questions. Plus the rest us can learn something new from others questions.
I have found solid colored flannel at WalMart, Hancock Fabrics and Hobby Lobby especially at this time of year. You could probably use printed flannel as long as it didn't show through the top or backing fabric. If the top and/or backing are a solid, then you would probably not want to use a printed flannel. I usually buy solid flannel then I don't worry about "show-thru" just if the color itself shows.
I have used flannel for pieced tops,as backings and as a batting.
For a lighter weight "batting" I have used a "fleece" batting- it is NOT the fleece that sweatshirts or throws/blankets are made of. I have found it where the interfacing materials are displayed.
As far as the binding, I don't think it matters that the fabric is not flannel. In fact, "regular" fabric might wear better. I've been taught to cut binding double the finished width, fold in 1/2 (long raw edge to long raw edge), press,then sew along the raw edges to attach it to the project "sandwich".
I'm sorry this is a long reply but I hope I've helped & not confused you. :)
Old 01-10-2007, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jean
I guess my real question is if I wash and dry it several times should I also wash the main fabrics to? :?
I prewash all fabric that I know will be washed again later (ie lap quilts, bed quilts, etc.) But if it's a wall hanging for decorative purposes or something of the like, I don't necessarily prewash that fabric.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 AM

Thank you guys so much. And no you didn't confuse me. I guess I just need to dig a little more and see what I can find.
Also thanks for the info about the fleece batting...I thought again they were talking about the kind that you make blankets and stuff out of. I will look for the other kind next time I am at the store.
Betsy
Old 01-10-2007, 01:35 PM

Betsy...I have seen flannel in solid colors (pastels) in Joann's fabrics. I don't know if you have a Joann's near you. When you do find it buy a large amount so you'll have it. This time of year you're apt to find it on sale.

Judyjo