Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US >

Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US

Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US

Old 03-20-2011, 02:58 PM

I pay on average between $24-27 a metre for fabric and $6 for fat quarters (hence I seldom buy fat quarters) they have to be on a good sale for me to buy em :lol: Some fabrics are even dearer still.

Maybe1day
In sunny hot Oz
Old 03-20-2011, 03:02 PM

Absolutely God Bless the U.S. and the brave men and women who put their lives on the line for us every day.

I think part of the reason fabric is cheaper here is that cotton is a lot more plentiful. Kinda drives the price down. But that's just a guess.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:03 PM

Me too :lol: I'd love a pen pal in the U.S.

Maybe1day
Old 03-20-2011, 04:01 PM

Love this country! We are so blessed!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:59 PM

I'd love to be a pen pal... let me know a little more about yourself, please. I am an avid quilter and I also like to travel (going back to Africa in May of this year). Maybe next trip will be to Australia!!! Haven't been there yet but I would also love to get to know more about you and about your country - especially your quilting passion! I live in Minnesota (northern part - about 120 miles from the Canadian border) so it is very cold here yet but starting to warm up... up to 35 in the daytime now - still freezing 32 degrees and lower at night. Have a great day and enjoy quilting!
Old 03-20-2011, 06:22 PM

I have 2 friends who are from the Netherlands, they go back for a visit every year and they each take an extra suitcase full of fabric for family members. Then they fill the suitcase with crackers, cookies and things they want for cooking that they can't get here. They have told us that prices are very high overseas. That is if they can even get fabric.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

Yikes. That is expensive and I hope it never becomes that expensive here.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:33 AM

In Australia we pay, on average, about $26/metre with some up as high as $45/metre. Our dollar is often the same value as the US dollarso that will give you some comparison!!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:50 AM

Sadly yes, fabric is a lot more expensive, but I think we can't forget that there are many other aspects that need to be considered and a straight comparison isn't very useful. I live in Australia and pay about 20$ per metre, and so love when there is cheap shipping from America because it's a great deal!!!

But, our income is a lot higher than in the U.S. I don't know the specifics but I know when I compare a decent Australian income to what my American friends think is decent, ours is about 20% higher.
This can also be seen when you look at food prices. If you compare a decent meal in America to a meal in Australia, ours seems much more expensive. But you have to take into account our incomes and cost of living match this.

Just thought I'd put my opinion out as I've lived in Africa, Europe and Australia and whenever I exchange the currency I would always be amazed at the differences in prices when converted, but after living there would realise that the incomes and other factors definitely equal it out. Still think I'd leap at the chance to stock up if I vist the u.s :D
Old 03-21-2011, 04:19 AM

Same in France, around equivalent of US $34 a metre - and it is not only the price, quilt shops are very few and far between. My nearest (and only) is a 70kms trip each way.
Some online but prices only very marginally less.
Very small choice and I have never seen a "range", only isolated prints from a range. Solids and tonals are about $19.
Even with shipping it is much more economical to buy from the US. Fabric is cheaper in UK than here but most of them now charge more for shipping to France than the US retailers.
I buy threads/notions from the UK, and rely on friends travelling from the UK by car to bring wadding back for me.
If it meant having to buy here, I could not afford to continue with quilting.