Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting?  Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy! >

What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:13 PM

small paper bag taped to the side of my machine table to throw the cut threads into.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

Plastic sipper bags that sheets come in for storing cut blocks etc. . Long handled brush that used to come in Loreal Hair dye pack for cleaning machine, computer key board and many more.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:19 PM

I was given a gross of foam EARPLUGS, and I use them on the ends of the pins that I use to pin fabric together. I know that there are special pieces for this job, but when you get a freebie, go for it. And probably the ear plugs are cheaper.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:20 PM

When I'm threading the embroidery floss on the quilt for tacking. If I have a problem getting the eye of the needle through, I pull it through with a pliers.

I also use tweezers to pick up little bits of thread left over from a rip.

Hair dryer to clean out the lint in my machine.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:26 PM

I use:
washers on the thread holder of my machine so I can use the larger size spools of thread and don't run out as much.

Off set screw driver so I can get into my machine a lot easier to clean it out. The screw drivers they supply with the machines don't even fit under it so it's easy to stripe the screws out.

4 foot T-square to line things up, be it patterns or designs. Also use several metal rulers for cutting straight cuts of fabric when my quilting rulers aren't long enough.

Paint brushes for cleaning out machine lint in between vacuuming.

rubber jar openers cut into smaller pieces, used to help pull needles through quilt layers.

the boxes that file folders come in are the perfect size to hold finished blocks, much like pizza boxes but take less room and will accommodate a 12 1/2" block nicely

card board fabric cutting boards that you get at Hancocks, these have been around for years, they were designed for people to place on their table to lay out patterns to sew clothes. I use them to place over my spare bed when I don't have any other place to stretch out a quilt for layering. I use 2 side by side so they cover a king size bed . I use four of the long straight pins to keep them in place on the bed and then pin each layer around the edges and as you add each layer pull out the pins and put back in right through all the layers of your quilt. Then base the whole thing and remove the pins and you set to go.

larger 2" to 4" paint brushes to sweep up strings and dust from work surfaces.

sheet protector are a great way to store block patterns that I've cut out so I can put them into a note book stored on a shelf

C clams I always have them with me so if I have to put 2 tables together I can clamp them and they stay put. or I can clamp a long wood pole to a door way to hang a quilt that I need to take pictures of.

Spring clamps to hold up quilts for picture taking.

Curtain rod hold, I have one mounted over a 5' door way with a 2" x 1" board in it. The board is 8' long so I can hang my quilts from there when it's nasty outside and still get a picture before sending the quilts out. Not as good as taking the pictures outside but it works. Of course the spring claps above is what I use to hold the quilts up.

Peg boards, I use them a lot in my house. For holding my pot, pans, large utensils, and of course sewing and quilting things. I hate draws that you have to pull everything out of just to find the one thing you need is in the back on the bottom or to stand on my head digging through cabinets. So I use peg boards and save the draws and cabinets for things I don't need so much. Just paint them the same color as your walls and they blend right in. Great storage feature no matter how you look at it. Also to help hold the pegs in the board, after painting it add a bit of hot glue on the holes before you place the peg in the hole it will keep them from falling out. What I do is place everything on the board like I want it to be sure I have room for it all. Then I go back and hot glue the pegs in place.

Ok that should give you some ideas to pass around
Old 03-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Mae

I use the medium size bead containers that are a little larger than the diameter of my bobbins to store multiple bobbins with the same color thread. I also use a small pencil bag for sewing machine accessories that fits in the storage area of my machine. I use the boxes that corn dogs come in for small projects. For cleaning the sewing machine, loop a short piece of pipe cleaner in the end of a coffee stirrer.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by spindreams
Most of the items I use are already listed by others, except for one: an empty and cleaned plastic cottage cheese container sits beside my machine to hold clipped threads.
Jane
I use that too Jane!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by purplepamela
Silverware tray for holding strips of fabric

Mesh shower organizer hung on wall for gadgets. Everything from scissors to ruler to tapemeasure to cutter. Very handy.
I have a silverware tray in the drawer of my cabinet and it helps the drawer stay neat.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:33 PM

I use my DH's engraver to mark all my tools.
The big, big black paper clips from office supply places hold fabric in place very well when basting or pinning a quilt. Also helps keep blocks organized.
I have an over the door wreath holder on my curtainrod above my cutting table to hang my scissors and rotary cutters.
A drying rack helps keep fabric strips organized when working on a project.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:33 PM

Mega big giant storage bags to carry quilts to guild show and tell, and to carry quilts in process of binding. Made by ziplock I think. Camera for photographing every quilt made. Great idea! Thank you for compiling this list!

FREE Quilting Newsletter