Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
absolutely sick, a mouse chewed grams hankies! >

absolutely sick, a mouse chewed grams hankies!

absolutely sick, a mouse chewed grams hankies!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Maybe you could save a few for something like this from LAB55?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-104419-1.htm
That is exactly how I had planned to do the butterflies, they are sooooo gorgeous! I have satin fabrics, ribbons, trims and stuff in my stash, and will possibly have to add a lot of embellishments too. My hankies were going to make like 12" squares when they were all folded... I posted in the classifieds to buy/trade/PIF to try and make this quilt happen. :D
Old 03-21-2011, 09:34 PM

Have had this darn flu as long as you!!! It is a pain. Anyway, sorry to hear about hankies, can you somehow appliques something over them.

Hugs

Helen
Old 03-22-2011, 06:10 AM

I'm so sorry. I'm sure your niece will love and treasure any quilt you make for her, even if it's not exactly as you had planned.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:28 AM

Take heart, open your imagination' a corner of the original hankie to new or newer hankie use nice lace to hide seam be surprise how pretty it could be just need one presentation corner.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:04 AM

I think you are onto something....the butterfly idea is beautiful...can't wait to see the final project..
Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 AM

Take a deep breath, and see if any parts of the hankies can be salvaged. Even small sections of the hankies will have the same meaning as whole ones. Do your best with what you have, and I'm sure she'll be forever grateful! Blessings!!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I was having an insomnia night, and was googling lots of different things... looked up Ruching, may try and incorporate some ruched flowers with our centerpiece... I have satin ribbons that are very old that were in gram's sewing boxes... another way to add gramma back into my quilt! :)

Also came across ideas for fabric flowers ~ does anyone know how I can maybe use the orphan for that (somehow you make a little flower by gathering / puckering the center of the hanky, and it rises up 3-d from the middle? whole hanky stays intact from what I understand?
Old 03-22-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer

A mouse somehow chewed thru the plastic to get to the ribbons that were in the same container. Mouse poop, chewings, total destruction. I am just totally heartsick and had to cry on someone's shoulder who understands.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Fabric Whisperer

I am so sorry to hear that. I HATE mice, and to think that they did that to your hankies for the special quilt. Next mouse that my cat eats, I will tell my cat that it was probably one of your mouse's relative and to keep a good job on my cat's behalf!

TreeFrog
Old 03-22-2011, 01:28 PM

Well, all this talk about mice!! I start up the stairs in our office building to go to the ladies room this afternoon and a little grey mouse scooted across the floor. I just about fell it startled me so! I was almost level with the upper floor so we were almost eye to eye!

Now, I told my boss on Monday we had a critter somewhere because he used my credenza as his toilet ... apparently all weekend by the mess he made (the mouse not my boss - LOL) ... and my boss had one of the guys put out bait for the mouse. But I don't care if had been the cutest little Easter Bunny you've ever seen, don't jump out at me!

My boss called out to me earlier in the day that he had seen 'my little friend' as it ran across his office floor and it was 'just a little mouse'. (When did he become MY friend?) so he went out and bought traps for it at lunchtime. Now no one will believe I'm not afraid of mice! It's not the mice ... it's the 'surprise here I am!' that I don't care for!

Peggy
(thought you could use a little chuckle in the midst of things.)
Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 PM

I'm going to call my grandmother (who's 88) and see if she has any hankies for you. I know that she did at one point have her mothers and her grandmothers. Let me see if she still does.

I'm so so sorry for you. :(