Need puppy advice

Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 AM

I am an RVT, puppies should have food down all day, they need to eat every few hours, and since he is large breed, I would make sure you are feeding him a large breed puppy food, because they can get panosteitis when they grow too quickly
Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 AM

[quote=prairiequeen]While we are on puppy training.Mine is about 5 months old a has gottten bad about jumping on people?
------------------------------------
We used to take in (and kept them) rescue Doberman Pinchers, which are not known for being delicate little darlings. They are large and powerful animals, as we got them as adults, so I had to be pack leader. The very first time one jumped up on me, they got a very firm NO!! The next time they got another NO and a knee in the chest, hard enough to make them jump back, then petted for getting down. Any jump ups after that got a hard stomp on the back feet and a firm NO and being shut out of the house, which was kin to being sent to Siberia.
They behaved so well with people after that, one of them was invited to visit my son's preschool so the kids could see a big dog was not to be feared, only touched when the owner was with it.
Dear old Kurt was my son's protector all his life, even refused to let my Dear MIL near him as a baby!! And as for spanking him, Kurt had to be put outdoors before it, and growled at us while licking DS's tears!!! (Which of course the brat allowed!!)
Old 03-22-2011, 09:45 AM

Kennel training is a great way to help with potty training, then later those kennels become their homes. I have them covered in quilts to look pretty for them. I have two kennels in my bedroom and when we go to bed, so do the babies. We leave dry food and water out all the time. They nibble when hungry, but remember they need exercise like we do. So if they eat a lot, then need lots of exercise. If they eat to the point of throwing it up, then don't leave the food out. As a puppy, and if you are starting with soft food, feed them a couple times a day, in small amounts
Old 03-22-2011, 09:55 AM

I don't think they should have soft toys to chew on. I was told that then they think anything soft (pillows, couch cushions etc) are fair game. Also saw on TV about a dog who actually swollowed the stuffing and it pluged up his intestines..big vet bill for the surgery..this is just my thoughts...good luck with your new addition to the family..my DD has a crate for her 2 dogs..they sleep together in it a night..
Linda B.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:11 PM

I have two large mixed retriever and poodle. A Labradoodle and a Goldendoodle . May I suggest you go to IDOG.biz . There is a marvelous source of information. Everything from growth and development to training, health and equipment.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:25 PM

He probably still needs to eat 3 times a day, or I let mine graze with food and water available all the time. I'm not sure I'd take away his water at 9 PM; don't you get thirsty at night? He'll learn to "hold it" as soon as his body is ready; I'm sure he understands by now what you want him to do. He's smart since he's 1/2 GSD anyway. Toys need to be indestructible at this age---try Nylabones. Also, he is NOT too old to start with a crate; I've done it with adult dogs and they like their "bed" (as we call it) enough to go get in it by themselves sometimes when they are tired. You're on the right track with him; keep doing what you're doing and he'll be a great dog! BTW----you are letting him meet lots of strangers of all different kinds, right?
Old 03-22-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by klgreene
Kennel training is a great way to help with potty training, then later those kennels become their homes. I have them covered in quilts to look pretty for them. I have two kennels in my bedroom and when we go to bed, so do the babies. We leave dry food and water out all the time. They nibble when hungry, but remember they need exercise like we do. So if they eat a lot, then need lots of exercise. If they eat to the point of throwing it up, then don't leave the food out. As a puppy, and if you are starting with soft food, feed them a couple times a day, in small amounts
My 4 crates were covered with quilts too until one day the love of my life grabbed a vintage 1930's that I paid over $300 on Ebay for (got into a bidding war and I REALLY loved it, OK?) and then the puppy dragged the middle through the bars and chewed on it all night... HUGE hole right in the middle of the quilt!!!!! Just be careful! :)
Old 03-22-2011, 01:49 PM

Bet your puppy is really sweet. We had a german shepard. I learned from a neighbor who raised hunting dogs how to keep the dog from biting to hard - even accidently when playing. She told me to get a hairbrush for him/her to play with. She said it would give them a soft mouth (for birds for her but for me it meant that my small children could really play with our puppy - and later big dog. It really worked for us. Have fun.
Blessings,
Scherrie
Old 03-22-2011, 02:00 PM
JS

one thing you never do is put your knee in the chest of a dog. It is can mean life and death to a dog. There are other ways to teach a dog not to jump. Just ask a reputable dog trainer.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:50 PM

First- I don't like hitting animals for any reason, so we use "the big scary noise" when Greta jumps up. She learned real quick, that if she jumps up, she will hear it again! The big scary noise is a sharp "bad dog" command. We only use it when they break rules that they know. Other times, when they do what we don't like, but haven't covered yet, she hear a sharp "NO". Keep your commands short, and always use exactly the same words, and she will be easier to train. Ours understand; Let the dog out? Feed the dog? Get the dog! (invitation to play) Sit, Circle, Down, Roll, Goodies?, and the one you never say in jest at my house, "Car Dog? They both go absolutely nuts running in circles, then run to the leash and halter hook on the door, and keep barking until you get there. Did I mention that they are a medium Blue Heeler, and a huge malamute/shephard? It's deafening! They also know that if a dish is on the floor, they can't touch it if it has silverware on it. Good luck to you. It will all be very rewarding when you are done!