Garage as a sewing room

Old 03-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Banned

I say put your hubby between 2 wall studs then put up the sheet rock........do you think anyone would miss him?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

Ummmmm well the first thing that came to my mind was that it would be too hot and too cold. Do you have insulation in there? You can set up your studio in there but I would leave a small set up in your old area just for piecing incase it is too hot or too cold in the garage studio. I have a very big insulated studio above the garage and we put in sepperate climate controll because in the summer it is too hot in the afternoon and in the winter it is cold. I always sew in late afternoon or evening. Still I would go ahead and set up your studio. If there is any way you can add insulation do it! Have fun and please post pictures when it is done.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pamkasperi
Well I started the process....

...I called my oldest son and he is coming home this weekend to help Mom! ha ha - if it works he will jump on board with this project - if the guilt doesn't work than I get to see my son!
Aren't son the best!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 AM

Good luck. I hope it works out wonderfully for you. I want my own space too but don't know if I'll ever get it. Keep trying and hopefully you'll have plenty of space out there.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 AM

Just go for it. He probably won't even know the changes that were made. Happy wife happy life for every one.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 AM

My DH made me a small garage part in "his" wood working shop( which he doesn't use) for my car. Now his shop isn't big enough so I get it and he has built a shop building. His is four square feet larger than the old shop. Anyway MY new shop/space has heat, is well insulated and I have ordered my new LA, A Vision 26/10 on a 12 ft. table to be delivered in May. He is now on a time line to move his stuff out. I have waited 25 + years and made do with whatever room there was for sewing. You go for it, Girl! I completely understand. Before he buys a motorcycle or some other silly project.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldlady 77
My DH made me a small garage part in "his" wood working shop( which he doesn't use) for my car. Now his shop isn't big enough so I get it and he has built a shop building. His is four square feet larger than the old shop. Anyway MY new shop/space has heat, is well insulated and I have ordered my new LA, A Vision 26/10 on a 12 ft. table to be delivered in May. He is now on a time line to move his stuff out. I have waited 25 + years and made do with whatever room there was for sewing. You go for it, Girl! I completely understand. Before he buys a motorcycle or some other silly project.
Oh heaven help us if he tries to get a motorcycle....A lot of men his age that we know are buying those... I've had had all the mid-life crisis I can take.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:36 AM

You have to go for it! I have an indoor air conditioner in my garage. It vents out through a hole in the wall and the drain tube goes out under the closed garage door. In the winter I have two space heaters. Both are more than adequate to make the two bay garage comfortable. Hubby has helped me tweak my "garage studio" at least three times. We are almost at perfection! When we had the carpet replaced in the house we "recycled" the under used carpet from the living and dining rooms, just had the installer add a new pad and make it fit in here. Pay special attention to lighting. Note in the photo my room is mostly white. White ordinarily wouldn't be my thing, but all other colors absorb light, so overtime everything has been replaced with white furniture and accessories.

"Garage Studio" Window Wall
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173802[/ATTACH]

"Garage Studio" Standing airconditioner between tall cabinets
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173803[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-173796.jpe
Views:	11
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	173802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-173797.jpe
Views:	9
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	173803  
Old 03-23-2011, 08:36 AM

Well, we have one including a full set of leathers which he wears around the house to "break them in". He says "you seem happy" and I'm trying not to giggle. He has regressed to thinking he is going to build a Cafe Racer like he had in the 70's and he is 70 so we will see. I don't know which was worse, teenagers or old silly men.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Love it!!!!