Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using sheets for backing??? >

Using sheets for backing???

Using sheets for backing???

Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

I don't use sheets because I read somewhere that they can be tough to quilt through. Whether that is true or not, I do not have any real interest in finding out.

As for thread - I mix it up. I have one quilt done with polyester thread and it is being washed to death. None of the seams are coming apart due to the thread - and believe me, that quilt is well loved. So I am not worried about the thread as long as it is not old thread. THAT I won't use.

As for the appropriateness of this topic. From my own point of view, I do not tell others what they should and should not be interested in. Sounds too much like the quilt police. I think it's a good question REGARDLESS of how the OP feels about using sheets herself.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Parrothead
I really believe this is one of those topics that did not need to be. If you do not want to use sheets, then do not. But do not make those that do seem like idots or lessor quilters. If you want all cotton, then fine. Many do not. I use sheets for backing and also for plain fabric in the quilt. Works fine, have had no problem.
Hmmm, I must be missing something? I dont think anyone insinuated that someone was an idiot for using sheet as backing. Sounds like a good and educational discussion to me.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:26 AM

Honestly I love hearing the differing points of view because it allows me to make my own decision based on other's history/experiences. I want to know the good, bad and ugly. Why some prefer it and some do not.

I haven't used sheets in quilting yet. Maybe someday, maybe not.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Hmmm, I must be missing something? I dont think anyone insinuated that someone was an idiot for using sheet as backing. Sounds like a good and educational discussion to me.[/quote]

I have to agree - I found this very interesting and educational. I think it has to do with who taught you to quilt. My MIL taught me and she was the type to use what ever she could get her hands on for backing and thread. I prefer to used wide backing (fabric or sheets) because I don't like to piece my backs. Thanks for starting this topic.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:46 AM

Now you have me thinking about sheets :shock: I have not used a sheet for backing simply because as a LA quilter I know the higher thread counts in the sheets mean that my needle has a better chance of cutting a thread rather than sliding between the threads, however...I am making 9 quilts for the soldiers going to Afghanistan with my daughter next week and with the price of fabric, I may look for some of those $2 and $3 sheets to help with the backings - would certainly impact my budget less. I won't use them whole as I love pieced backs that make the quilt reversible. 200 thread count sheets won't be much different from batiks!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:09 PM

Fascinating discussions here. MTCW- My neighbor (also on this board) only uses the finest of materials and, once upon a time, would never use a sheet for backing. Her quilts are beautiful and sturdy. Perfection.

I, on the other hand, have used sheets as backing for years. I mix HQ and MQ. The only problem I've ever had was with a new poly/cotton sheet that was too stiff.

We've shared our quilt experiences and gone shopping together. She taught me about the texture check to eliminate poor quality fabrics and to make sure material will wear out at the same rate. I taught her to use this skill when picking out sheets at thrift stores.

That's always been my rule, "If it doesn't feel good against my skin, don't buy it." Now, she may spend the money she saves on backing to buy more quilting fabric! Both of us learned long ago to keep learning through the wisdom of others. Glad she's my "Fabric Queen" neighbor!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the question, I too wondered about using sheets for backing now I know, try it you might like it, it works for some and not for others. I will have to see if it works for me.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:31 PM

Just one note to add on the thread: at the quilt store where I bought my machine--I bought a Babylock, but they sell primarily Pfaffs--they hold many many classes and said they do not allow cotton thread on their machines because it's too linty. I'd never head that before and to be honest, the poly I use seems just as linty. I only use poly now because when I got my machine it was a floor model and in need of a tune up so was very picky and only worked well with poly thread. Now that it's turned, I know it'd take any thread. I've purchased so much poly--that's what'll be in my quilts for a long time to come.

Flannel sheets for a back--now that sounds intriguing. I never would have thought of that. If I see some great patterns, I may give it a try. Thanks for the idea!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:05 PM

I am so glad that this topic was posted. I am new to quilting, less than a year and a few months ago a friend told me to never, never use sheets in a quilt for backing or on the top. When I asked why, she said she did not know just that she watched a Quilting Show and Nancy said never to use sheets. I have pondered over this statement since. Now I am so releaved that it has been addressed.
I will in the future try using sheets to make my own determination. But I have learned a wealth of knowledge in this thread from all of the posting from all of you wonderful quilters.
Thank You to everyone for your OPINIONS. Thank You especially to Eccobluff for giving her opinion that started the thread.
I have no opinion of which sewing threads to use, but I now have a lot of opinions that I will keep in mind as I try different ones.
Thank You to all and I think this has been a great discussion.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:12 PM

I am with you on the sheets. The reason I do not recommend them is that if you are long arm quilting them, your machines needle is poking a hole in them that will over time rip. The thread count on sheets are higher. To me, using a sheet is like using walmart and quilt shop fabric in the same quilt.. You will not have the same life expectancy when mixing different fabrics.