Garage as a sewing room

Old 03-23-2011, 08:59 AM

lbosma--Love your space. I never thought about the white but it makes sense.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:09 AM

So that you can get an idea of the size you need move in now hang quilts on walls or extra fabric, leave door on and open on nice days build a screen wall to keep out bugs....when you are out of house and like how you have it set up, ask around for help with what you can not do....
Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 PM

My sewng room is a guest bedroom, have a LA, 2sewing machines etc. Would give my right arm to get a garage for a sewing room. My DH just had one built last year, all brick, 3 large windows, overhead lighting, all kinds of outlets and he refuses to give it to me. Sorry just had to rant. But you go girl get it before he fills it up with something.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:54 PM

you should have turned the mustang into your sewing room and run the machine off the car battery. some men are just so weird.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lbosma
You have to go for it! I have an indoor air conditioner in my garage. It vents out through a hole in the wall and the drain tube goes out under the closed garage door. In the winter I have two space heaters. Both are more than adequate to make the two bay garage comfortable. Hubby has helped me tweak my "garage studio" at least three times. We are almost at perfection! When we had the carpet replaced in the house we "recycled" the under used carpet from the living and dining rooms, just had the installer add a new pad and make it fit in here. Pay special attention to lighting. Note in the photo my room is mostly white. White ordinarily wouldn't be my thing, but all other colors absorb light, so overtime everything has been replaced with white furniture and accessories.
I love your room and I'm doing it and he can't stop me! Ha ha - I'm home all day and he isn't so I'll get it all done once its cleaned out and he won't be able to do anything about it! Yeppers I'm doing it!!!

The white furniture is a great idea!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:01 PM

My frindship group meets every 4th thrusday of the month at the same place. its grarage of one of our members. She had her son put a down lanolum, insalate(sp?)the walls and install electrical outlet and lighting. She has her LA in there and two long tables that we use to sew on. She is a widow so there is no one to say nay. Hope your DH comes around,It can work for you very nicely.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:12 PM

I say go for it. Guys for some reason never want to give up the garage. They think it is "their" room. If there's not a car in it then they'll make it their workshop or something. One of the ladies at our LQS is buying a new house and is going to to close in her garage and get one of those motel heat/air units. Don't know how much those cost but that would solve both your heat and your air issue.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:24 PM

i live in a house built in 1738....we put in a new heat system, but didn't get the upstairs added onto it yet..

my studio is up there & i plug the space heater in for an hour b4 i go up there. it warms up quite nicely..

i can't run the heater & the sewing machine, trips the breaker...

did i mention that the breaker box is in part of the cellar you CAN'T get to from inside the house... have to go out the barn and all the way around the house...

i only did that once!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 PM

I have 2 Holmes Oil Filled heaters, one in our bedroom and one in my sewing room. We have had these for years and love them. There is no exposed heating element. This is link for Target. I think we got the first one at Costo, it was a DeLongi. My SIL liked it so much when we visited her and took it with us that we gave it to her and bought another for ourselves.

http://www.target.com/Holmes-Oil-Fil.../dp/B003XKI8TO

Just a thought.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 PM

My sewing room is in a 16 x 16 bedroom in our finished basement. I too use one of the oil filled radiator looking heaters and as long as I keep the door shut it stays toasty in there. It takes a little while to warm up, but it is the safest portable heater I was able to find. I have a mid-arm machine on a queen size frame, my piecing machine and its cabinet and a cutting table that DH built for me. Also in the room is a queen size bed, nightstand and dresser. The chest is now in the closet, lol. Hey, that dresser and chest hold ALOT of fabric. DH put up a new 48 inch 4 bulb fluorescent fixture for me and now I can see all my mistakes. My quilting buddy SIL came up for a 6 days last week and we disassembled the bed and leaned it against the wall so she had room for a portable table and her machine.

I use the bed for laying out blocks because I don't have one of those wall board things, but this past week I developed a new plan. An 8 foot pool table is the perfect place to lay out a quilt! It sits right outside the door to my sewing room. DH offered to take the bed down and store it overhead in our utility room but I haven't made up my mind yet. I am now thinking I will get him to take down the bed and make me a table top that can be placed on top of the pool table so that it is wider and longer.

As for garages, I would be upset if the hubby made me move my motorcycle or my car out so he could have more room for wood working. But I do let him store his golf clubs in my sewing room during the winter months. :)