Garage as a sewing room

Old 03-23-2011, 05:18 PM

lbosma - I love the way you have your studio set up.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:40 PM

Good for you!! You go girl! Once it's done You'll be lovin life!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Banned

I told my hubby that I had 4 pages of votes to move from my space I'm using into the garage. He looked up from his sports news and said "if your not careful I am going to unsubscribe you from that quilt board!".....guess I'll back off for the night :) Tomorrow I have ot start the cleaning of the garage - they brought the dumpster today and I'm motivated to clean it now!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:13 PM

my friend's husband turned their garage into a quilt studio just over a year ago we love it and he cooks for us when we visit and sew together
Old 03-23-2011, 07:18 PM

Good for you...do it!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:05 PM

go for it, you will love this place of your own ... peace full and quiet if tht is what you want, .... jacie
Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by NanaInVirginia
I use the bed for laying out blocks because I don't have one of those wall board things, but this past week I developed a new plan. An 8 foot pool table is the perfect place to lay out a quilt! It sits right outside the door to my sewing room. :)
A friend that I sew with has the garage as her studio. Her DH's pool table sits in the middle of the room. When he is not using the table they put 3 doors on top of it. It is great as a cutting table, to lay out blocks and to assemble the 3 layers of the quilt to pin baste. When he wants to play pool they just take the doors off.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:18 PM

Sounds like my DH too..... but I have learned after 20 yrs. --- If I am 'pleasantly persistant'.... and start doing the work myself..... he sees my determination plus the benefit and finally buys into it.

I'm sure your DH is in mourning over the loss of one of his 'boy toys'... which are ever sooooo important to our men. Perhaps commending him for the sacrifice will go a long ways in bringing him along. Sugar works much better than salt. ;-)
Old 03-23-2011, 10:50 PM

5 kids. Blimey girl, you deserve a sewing room. Hire in and get it done. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AnnieH
5 kids. Blimey girl, you deserve a sewing room. Hire in and get it done. Good luck.
Yep - 19 year old son in his 3rd year of college; twin 18 year olds daughters who leave for college in August; a 15 year old daughter and my baby is 12 and he starts high school in August.

I'm 4 years from having them all out the door (well the youngest may stay home for the first year of college - not sure about sending a 16 year old out into the world of college.....

When we bought our house we had 1 kid and it was plenty big - we barely had any furniture and now we are jam packed - decluttering (hence the dumpter they just delivered) and kids are rapidly leaving.

My youngest put a damper in my plans tonight though...he suggested that we wall up around the washer and dryer; clean it and fix it like I planned but move him out there. His reasoning - which kind of made sense is he is really into music - honors band; plays guitar and piano and being in the garage would make the house itself quieter - then I could have his room as a sewing room.....

Now I don't know what to do....I'm going to get some "space" in the next month one way or another but.....