Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help me.  I have a mess. >

Please help me. I have a mess.

Please help me. I have a mess.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:42 AM

I agree with all of the above, however, in addressing the tension issue - both thread and presser foot:

You mention a "1" for tension which I assume is the top thread. I use that when I'm machine BASTING an item so that when I'm through quilting, I can do just what's happening to you --- pull the bobbin thread to get a quick release on it. Find the range of your top thread and set it at half way.

As to the presser foot tension, many (most?) machines today have an automatic presser foot tension setting, i.e., the machine "senses" the thickness of the fabric and adjusts itself. However, on older machines, the presser foot tension adjusts by way of a number that you select (usually with a lever on the inside cover somewhere) or by pressing a large round nut-looking thing on the top of the machine to a lower or higher setting. If you have settings for presser foot, start with the half-way mark there as well.

When setting up your practice sandwich, load a dark and a light thread so you will be able to easily see where the two threads are intersecting. They too should be just about half way through the sandwich. You should see just a speck of the opposite color when examining the stitch line from both sides.

You'll figure it out and be sailing in no time at all. Happy, happy quilting to you!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

Setting the presser foot tension to '2' worked for me.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:59 AM

Just had a similar problem. After taking the stitches out four times I pressed down really hard on both sides as I fed the material under the needle, went slower and got what I wanted. Walking feet, as others have said, are not for speed and I sometimes forget that. Basting spray is fantastic and is the only thing I use now. I always basted using thread, but the spray is easier and holds so well. Just a hint, don't overspray.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:40 AM

I think your stitches may possibly be too small?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:51 AM

you really have to make the backing quite taunt. If you use basting spray, you might also want to use a few pins- my experience is the basting spray doesn't hold well enough
(at least for me)
Lay it down and tape all sides of it to get it smooth and tight, then lay your batting and do the same thing, then your top. and pin or sew the heck out of it
Old 03-24-2011, 06:32 AM

I had problems with this too. I adjusted the pressure knob. I think it's the pressure foot pressure, anyway that helped me. Thanks - you may want to try that.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Vat

You need to take everything out, even your basting. Your basting is not close enough to do much good. Tape your back down to the floor or table, then place you batting, then your top. Pin all in place , then baste. Probably 1-2 inches apart. And it looks like your bobbin tenion it really tight.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:38 AM

I just took a class on Tues. and one of the things I learned was to quilt from the center out. Do not start on one side and sew to the other. Start in the center and sew to the side then go back to the center and sew to the other side.j
Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 AM

Yes, this is what I do also. Only I use straight pins, pinning opposite sides (top & bottom) first. Pinning into the carpet pad at an angle. Make sure it is squared with a wall. Then pin the two sides, pulling slightly to remove all excess. I end up the backing (WSU) pinned to the carpet so that I can bounce a coin off it. Then I float the batt down. Finally, I float the top down and carefully pull it into place, then remove and repin the top and bottom together into the carpet with the batt sandwiched inside. Once all pinned, I baste the entire unit together in serpentine rows about 4 inches apart. Never had any slipping with this method.

Also sounds as if you have a thread tension problem.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:12 AM

You said that your thread on the back came out very easily, and this leads me to believe the the upper tension is too loose--you could trying tightening it SLIGHTLY by turning it toward a lower number. The "golden rule" in tension adjustment is: If there are problems on the back of the quilt, the problem is with the upper tension. Tension problems on the top (this hardly ever happens) then the problem is with the bobbin tension. Alway adjust in very small increments.
I also really love spray basting. You just need to take your piece outside to spray--even if its really cold--you are only going to be there for a second--and spray lightly and quickly. I usually wait until DH is around and he will hold it up for me as he hides behind it so as not to get himself sprayed! Good luck and let us know how thigs turn out for you! :thumbup: