Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale >

100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale

100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale

Old 03-24-2011, 03:09 AM

my daughter has offered me 6 top sheets from the kids beds as they don't use them. They are 200 thread 100% cotton but boy are they colorful. All kinds of princesses and Spiedermen. I am going to use them for backings for their quilts and for pillow cases.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by redvette54
Okay, I have a silly question. When you are buying sheets, are you buying a set or just the top sheet? I was just thinking about the people working at the store wondering why they only had fitted sheets left.
Walmarts was the only place i could find flat sheets,not sets. (at a great price)
a friend uses them, because she does alot, and i mean alot, of charity quilts..and this is the only way she can afford to put backs on them.

i have used them occasionally,with no problems,but i prefer muslin.(Kona muslin is 200 count)
Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 AM

You cannot judge the density by how many threads there are per square inch. I have had 400 threads per square inch sheets that were thin rags. They would have been fine to hand quilt with. They sometimes use very fine threads. Think of it this way, 40/2 ply versus a 60/2 ply sewing thread. Also the number of threads (ply) in the thread changes the density.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:24 AM

A friend of mine uses the Egyptian sheets for her backings, and has not had a problem LAQ. I do her bindings, and I haven't had a problem with that.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:32 AM
Vat

I haven't been into quilting but about 7 years and have NEVER EVER used a sheet for a backing. I have been told by National Teachers that really good cotton fabric and cotton sheets are not woven the same. The cotton is different and when stitched the needle will split the cotton causing it to break and you not even know it. After you put lots of work into the tops why would you not want the best you can get for the back. If you watch sales you can get 40% or more off and then buy your backings instead of risking the life of hard work.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by huntannette
not here in Canada...i`ve looked at Walmart for 100 % cotton sheets but thy don`t have them..and fabric here is twice the price that in the States
Originally Posted by pattilynn
Originally Posted by huntannette
was looking at cotton sheets in Sears.....since a lot of you use them for backing...thought i`d give it a try.....but know nothing about thread count..my question.....what do you think ....for $27.95 brand new???? But the thread count puzzles me...what is 200 per square inch...want something that will be easy to quilt....
$27.95 per sheet, that is crazy too much..... 200 tc is not good at all and will wear thin in no time. you can buy 400 tc at walmart for less than $10.00
I've found and bought several cotton sheets at Walmart in Canada...maybe it's your location. Have you looked at Zellers?
Old 03-24-2011, 04:59 AM

If you see cotton at a good price that you like, buy it. Cotton is going up in price. Imported cotton and US cotton are all having production problems. Along with the cost of everything else, cotton is goin up. lindielou
Old 03-24-2011, 05:52 AM

If I want to use a sheet for the backing, I usually go to a thrift store. There, I can feel the cotton, check out the real size, and pretend I am hand quilting it. I don't think it would matter as much if you are MQ, but for HQ, I really like to feel the fabric first. If you are worried about thrift store items, ours gets plenty of new items from local stores, displays, returns, etc.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:05 AM

i have never used sheets for a backing, i might give it a try if i can find these sheets at walmart or target.....i usually try to find the 2 - 3 dollar fabric at fabric shops (like M & L in calif) for my backing fabric....then for 8 yards, it is only 16 - 24 dollars........but if the sheets are $10, i am going to look there.....gina
Old 03-24-2011, 07:18 AM

Thrift store, thrift store, thrift store! :lol: