Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
GETTING READY TO START MY FIRST QUILT! >

GETTING READY TO START MY FIRST QUILT!

GETTING READY TO START MY FIRST QUILT!

Old 02-12-2009, 05:52 AM
Banned

hello from wa. :D
Old 02-12-2009, 06:20 AM

Thanks for your reply, I think I may have been confusing on the size of my quilt squares ( rookie mistake!) My quilt top was made using 5" squares with 1/4" seam. I used 40 of the squares. Finished it measures
36" x 20". So you are saying I use the same width for border ( makes sense) I like the look of solid border with each corner using the pattern on the back. I want to use white for the sides and top I think , & then a baby pattern on the back and corners using all colors.
Having said that .. I have 2 questions. How much of each fabric ?
And is flannel a fabric of choice for softness?
I do not know much about binding?? Can you enlighten me and again with the amt I should buy. I plan to make a trip to Joanns today to buy more supplies, Im off and want to work some more this afternoon:)
Old 02-12-2009, 06:41 AM
k3n
Power Poster

OK, so you want to make a border with corner blocks...

If your quilt is 36" by 20" then you need two border strips the width you want (eg 5" + seam allowance) x 36 1/2" and two strips same width x 20 1/2". Your corner blocks need to be squares the same size as the width of your border + seam allowance.

For the border fabric - you can cut across the width so the long borders need two strips of the width (if we're going with 5" wide this means 11") and the short borders, you can get out of one width, so you need 16 1/2", so buy half a yard.

If you go with 5" wide borders, your finished quilt will be 41" x 25" so you can cut the backing across the width, therefore you need 25" of fabric BUT buy more because you should always leave your batting and backing a couple of inches bigger when you make your sandwich and trim up after you've quilted; you also need 4 squares for the corner blocks of your border so if you buy a yard you'll have plenty.

For the binding - the circumference of your quilt will be 2 x width + 2 x length, so 132". If you cut the binding across the fabric width, you'll get 44" lengths which you then join together, so you'll need 3 widths + seam allowances, so allow 4 widths. You make double binding 2 1/2" wide so you need 10" of fabric. If you bind with the backing fabric, then I'd get a yard and a quarter, which should be enough for backing, corner blocks and binding.

Your batting needs to be a couple of inches larger all round than your quilt (for trimming up after quilting) so say 43" x 27".

So in summary, half a yard of your white border fabric, one and a half yards for backing, corner blocks and binding and batting of 43" x 27" - you can get it in precut packages, crib size should do the trick (this is usually 45" x 60" so you'll have some over for your next project :wink: :D )

K x

PS Just ask if you have any questions about making your 'quilt sandwich' and let us know when your ready to bind!
Old 02-12-2009, 06:42 AM
k3n
Power Poster

PS yes flannel is lovely for baby quilts!

K x
Old 02-12-2009, 06:59 AM

Lots of fantastic info! Thanks so much!
Do I understand that the fabric for the back of the quilt is also used for the binding? Ive written down to get 1/2 yd of white fabric 1 1/2 yd of
patterned ( probably flannel) and a 45x60 pkg of batting. Correct??
Anything else I should pick up while Im there that I will need today when
working on this part of my quilt? Probably wont finish today of course
and I work a full time job , not another full day off untill next Tues.
Thanks again! :)
Old 02-12-2009, 07:36 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Have u got thread for quilting, and piecing? don't know if you machine or hand quilt?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 AM

YEAH! I have my quilt top finished! with a white border ( corners are of fabric Im using on the back) :)
Now Im ready for the next step , I have all my materials needed. Whats next?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:47 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Hi newnana - wow that was fast!

Now you need to make your sandwich!

Cut your backing fabric a couple of inches all round bigger than your top and put it right side down on to a flat surface - table or floor. I like to put a piece of masking tape across each corner to hold it in place. Then lay your batting the same size as your backing over the top and smooth out the wrinkles; then your lovely top, right side up. Then you have you bast it together. Some of the ladies on the board use spray or a gun but I do it the old fashioned way with needle and thread. You want ot make lines of stitches about 4" apart in both directions. Your stitches can be around an inch long. Then you take up the tape and it's ready for quilting! I don't know if you want to do this by hand or machine? If it's machine then I'm useless so hopefully someone else will jump in and help!

K x
Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 AM

OK I understand to lay it down and layer it.. Do I baste just around the corners just to hold it together on the edges untill sewn? Or all through the quilt? I am using a machine.. so if someone can quide me to the next step that would be great.! Ive also been watching UTube videos on quiltmaking which has been helpful but I havent found one that shows the layering ???
Old 02-19-2009, 09:05 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Here's a link http://www.quiltingassistant.com/basting.html

Basically, you're aiming to end up with parallel lines of basting stitches, about 4" apart running horizonatlly and vertically through all the layers, over the whole sandwich.

K x