Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
recycled/repurposed Denim projects >

recycled/repurposed Denim projects

recycled/repurposed Denim projects

Old 03-25-2011, 07:49 PM

I also did a faux cathedral windows from the equilter.com link posted previously. I made it from hubby's old jeans and work shirts. I also put scraps of batting in mine to make it heavier. He likes to feel the weight of a quilt on his legs.

I'm planning to make more for the grandkids to use as floor mats/nap mats. I'm going to zig zag the arcs down on the front of them and use flannel for the "windows". I probably won't put batting in them. I'm also going to whip out a raggy shaggy one with pink flannel alternated front & back for a great niece due in July. Her parents could wreck a crow bar in a sandbox so she will need something sturdier (and less of my hard work) than I normally give for baby quilts.

Raggy Denim Cathedral Windows
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175019[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-175013.jpe
Views:	382
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	175019  
Old 03-26-2011, 05:38 AM

Love this, I think this will have to be one of my next projects. :-o
Old 03-26-2011, 06:03 AM

Wow! I love this too!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:37 AM

Beverly in Missouri... I love your quilt! Did you zig-zag the edges down? I looked up a tutorial on making this quilt and those are the instructions... but I'm wondering if you could simply sew a straight stitch about 3/8" (or more?) from the edge of each circle and let it fray as it's washed? A raw-edge applique' technique, sort of...
What do you think quilting friends??
Old 03-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by running1
Beverly in Missouri... I love your quilt! Did you zig-zag the edges down? I looked up a tutorial on making this quilt and those are the instructions... but I'm wondering if you could simply sew a straight stitch about 3/8" (or more?) from the edge of each circle and let it fray as it's washed? A raw-edge applique' technique, sort of...
I think so, too. If you have a straight stretch stitch (one that goes 2 st forward and 1 st back) this would be a stronger seam on the denim and fraying would stop at a very hard sewn edge. I use it when I sew denim squares together.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
I also did a faux cathedral windows from the equilter.com link posted previously. I made it from hubby's old jeans and work shirts. I also put scraps of batting in mine to make it heavier. He likes to feel the weight of a quilt on his legs.

I'm planning to make more for the grandkids to use as floor mats/nap mats. I'm going to zig zag the arcs down on the front of them and use flannel for the "windows". I probably won't put batting in them. I'm also going to whip out a raggy shaggy one with pink flannel alternated front & back for a great niece due in July. Her parents could wreck a crow bar in a sandbox so she will need something sturdier (and less of my hard work) than I normally give for baby quilts.
Beautiful!! Love this quilt.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Originally Posted by running1
I think so, too. If you have a straight stretch stitch (one that goes 2 st forward and 1 st back) this would be a stronger seam on the denim and fraying would stop at a very hard sewn edge. I use it when I sew denim squares together.
Oh yes! good to know... I hadn't thought of that! Thank you!!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:29 AM

That is so pretty and when I think how much work goes into a Cathedral window quilt.... wow.. great job..
Old 03-26-2011, 09:31 AM

Love it, love it!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:35 AM

old jeans and capri's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-175251.jpe
Views:	610
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	175257