Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
have any of you decided to just go gray? >

have any of you decided to just go gray?

have any of you decided to just go gray?

Old 03-26-2011, 06:59 AM

I colored my hair to cover the grey for many years. It was costly to say the least but I just felt better not having grey hair. So before I retired I decided I had to stop paying big bucks every 6 weeks and doing it at home is just not for me. Moving also meant not having my ususal hairdresser either who I trusted so much to make me look my best. My wonderful hairdresser, Mitch Eubanks of Mitchell Wade Salon in Oveido, Fl said he would assist me in letting it go natural without having the awful look you get when it grows out. So with his color magic he highlighted and lightened my hair until it was grown out. Honestly I like it more than I ever imagined and love not having to run out for color every 6 weeks.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:04 AM

I never colored. Some said I should be since my husband was 18 years older than me, I never saw the need. Now It's just fine. I'm still salt and pepper.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:11 AM

I love gray. I have never and will never color my hair. In my family, graying comes late (I am almost 70 with very little graying.)I believe in natural. My husband started graying at 24.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:14 AM

I gave up coloring back in 1991. I decided I was tired of the upkeep and went all gray. My DDs and GDs keep trying to get me to color it but I tell them I earned every one of these hairs and I am keeping them.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by AKDaffyodil
I love the gray in my hair. I figure I earned every single one of them!!
That's what I say too.
Mine is not bad yet, I'll be 50 in June.
I had someone ask me recently "who does your hair, I love the color". I told my hairdresser and of course we got a wonderful laugh. God does a great job with my color!
And my DH loves it says the gray is sexy....I don't know about that. He didn't marry just my long brown hair though...AND he has lost most of his hair.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:20 AM

I colored my hair for years, and about 2 years ago said the heck with it. I've been partially gray ever since. I love the not having to deal with coloring every month. Strange though when I visit my one aunt who is 78 with red hair, and I'm 20+ years younger with salt & pepper!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:25 AM

I have brown hair streaked with gray,didn't cost a cent for the frosting.My sister has lovelysteel gray.Mine is like my Mums and she never did go all gray.Her mother didn't either.I don't like the chemicals and smell that goes with it all.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:36 AM

I used to color my hair. But then decided at when I become 60, I would just let it go completely gray. Fate took a hand then. Four months after my 60th b-day, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. By the second chemo treatment all my hair fell out. When it grew back, it was snowy white. I loved it! But it changed, now it is salt and pepper. I been told the secret to WOW grey hair, is a good hair style.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:44 AM

Never have colored my hair and long time ago swore to myself I would just let it be what it was going to be... My oldest D is 6' tall - I'm 5'6". Many years ago when she was still a teen, she would tower over me & if she noticed a grey stray, would want to pull it. Of course I wouldn't let her - I teased her then if I let her do that I'd eventually go bald...; & that was when the youngest two boys were still little... Up until about 2 years ago for the most part it still looked pretty dark overall & I'd tease my DH as his is almost snow white. So I've actually made it quite a long time before it was really noticeable. I've been teaching f/t again this past year & for the first time I had a student ask me "what color did your hair used to be?" Without really thinking much about it I replied "the same color it is now w/o the grey!" But it did make me sit up & notice that I've hit that point where it doesn't have the overall dark look to it any more because I've got that much more grey in it. I'm with the others tho - every one of those grey hairs has a name to it & has been earned living the good life !! :) They're going to stay that way & I am adjusting to it (slowly).
Old 03-26-2011, 07:44 AM

When anyone asks me about my gray hair I just tell them I earned every one of them and I'll keep them, thank you.