Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A steal for $42, but what was this used for? >

A steal for $42, but what was this used for?

A steal for $42, but what was this used for?

Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 AM

I have that same cabinet for my singer 201, and it has the same jar. My jar has dried blue stains around the rim - my guess is it held ink. The little marble inside would help remove excess ink after the pen/quill was dipped.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:04 AM

When I was in grade school every school desk had one built in. You are right we mostly had braids and it was just too tempting for the boys to dip them. I loved writing with a pen staff. Heard recently that some schools are considering not teaching the children cursive at all anymore as they can use computer. What a shame. What about when the power goes out?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Moz

Oh, I have one of these, but my ink jar is missing. That's my guess for the jar anyway, it is situated next to the pen cubby in the "desk" drawer so I'm thinking that's where you dipped your pen in to write. Er, that would be an old way of writing though. I forget the year on this machine? I know we were using reservoir fountain pens when I was a young girl still...and I'm 60 this year....oh, was that my outside voice? :)
Old 03-27-2011, 08:20 AM

Is that an ink well? And there is a place for the ink pens to rest in the front of the drawer??? Hey I'm only guessing here.
Originally Posted by Debd
Went to the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store and found this beauty for $50. Then there was this 20% off discount because it was furniture. Needless to say I left a nice donation check as well.

My question is about this container I found in the top drawer of the cabinet. There is a place specifically for it, so I believe it is part of the original sewing package. The top is a double layer with a hole in the bottom layer that a ball bearing fits into. The machine is a 1945 Singer 15-90.

Anybody have a clue?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
it looks like an old inkwell, we used o have in our scool desks. maybe the cabinet was a combo sewing and desk? Also the recessed part on the left would be for pens or quills. It maybe an add on because the woods seem different. Just grabbing at ideas.lol
Yup, I agree with it being an inkwell. I actually had one in my desk in grade school. It was special treat when they would actually put ink into them fro us to use. 'guess they didn't trust us very much! That would have been in the 1950's.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Used to be long years ago all of the ink used to come in short squat bottles, we bought at the store for 10 or 15 cents. Some of them had a little inside curved extra glass cup just under the lid to hold a small part of the ink for dipping straight pens into or for refilling lever type fountain pens. It was tricky to pour the ink from those bottles into these inkwells!
Everybody had an inkwell something like this in their desks at school.
It was so easy to splatter ink out of those steel pens when we wrote with them, because there was a drop of ink clinging to the underside of the pen.
However, people made beautiful designs with these pens, similar to, but more ornate than the quilting designs we use today.
When they invented ball point pens we were not so sure they were going to work at first, because the teeny balls in the points fell out easily, and the ink was awful messy if that happened.
My first ink pen was one that had a bladder inside it. We had to dip it into the ink bottle, pull down a lever sort of thing to suck up ink into the bladder (if you can correct this term, please do) and then write. Still, our ink jars fit into the jar hole on the upper left corner of the desk. One step improvement over the dip in pen. That was why the cartridge pen was such a wonderful creation when it came about. Didn't have to deal with the ink bottle and dripping ink on everything in sight.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by martha jo
When I was in grade school every school desk had one built in. You are right we mostly had braids and it was just too tempting for the boys to dip them. I loved writing with a pen staff. Heard recently that some schools are considering not teaching the children cursive at all anymore as they can use computer. What a shame. What about when the power goes out?
some people, my sister and one good friend can print faster than I can write. Printing is a pain in the patoot for me.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbin along
Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
it looks like an old inkwell, we used o have in our scool desks. maybe the cabinet was a combo sewing and desk? Also the recessed part on the left would be for pens or quills. It maybe an add on because the woods seem different. Just grabbing at ideas.lol
Yup, I agree with it being an inkwell. I actually had one in my desk in grade school. It was special treat when they would actually put ink into them fro us to use. 'guess they didn't trust us very much! That would have been in the 1950's.
THEY put ink in your ink well? We had to buy our own.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 AM

We had to buy our own also..I think it was called SKIP..blue..not washable as our mom`s found out..lol
Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
Originally Posted by Rose L
Very interesting piece of furniture. I am old enough to know what an ink well is but young enough to have used a cartridge pen in school. Makes me wonder what odd things my kids will have knowledge of in the years to come but not have been old enough to use them. I bet records/LPs are one of them. Ha!
just gotta tell ya'll this story.....one day my hubby and oldest son(he was about 7) were in an old "junk" type store...you know, the ones that are really disorganized and messy. Anyway, the son came upon some old 45 records....he held one up and said, "Hey Dad, what kind of a cd is this?" :lol: :lol: My hubby just grinned :wink:
My sis in law who's a tad older than me and who grew up in Los Angeles was shopping with me at an antique mall a few years back. I spied some of the aluminum clips that we put in our wet hair to set waves. She had no idea what they were. If you don't know, don't ask me to explain farther--I'm not good at descriptions.

Came back to edit post

I googled "aluminum wave clips" and found several references to them. Some were made by the same "GOODY" company who still makes so much of our hair thingies.