Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am making a rag quilt, please help...... >

I am making a rag quilt, please help......

I am making a rag quilt, please help......

Old 02-21-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by coldtoesinmi
I have not quilted in a long time and I am making a rag quilt to start out. I need some advice on the best pattern for the quilt. I saw an easy one that was just 9 inch squares (8 inch finished), I wondered if that was to large a block for a rag quilt.

I am making this quilt with homespun cotton as a trial because a couple of years ago I planned a rag quilt and bought some of the most beautiful flannel I have ever seen. I do not want to "learn" on that. It cost a couple of hundred dollars. Any advice would be great, I have looked around this site, but I would love some personal stories...

Thanks-

Michelle :D
I have made many raggedy quilts. Log cabin, plain squares, embroidered...I even add Long sashing pieces to them...you just need to "quilt" the sashings pieces more than just an "x" or few lines the way you do to the squares.

I am working on two right now and should have them finished this week. Will post pics. I use a triple stitch to join them...the one that goes forward and backward. I dont use osnaberg in the middle...for me two layers of flannel is warm enough, but the osnaberg really makes the edges "rag/ruffle" prettier.

Margie
Old 02-21-2009, 01:16 PM

I do my rag quilts a bit differently. I do not use the batting in the middle layer. I have done both homespun and flannel quilts this way. I buy a less expensive, or if I can get the fabric on sale, homespun or flannel fabric that have the color the same on both sides. I cut this fabric the same size as the other two and use it as the batting. It will then fray along with the top and back layers and gives a really fluffy feel to it. I still sew the layers together with a design, possibly and "X" or a heart or spiral.

baby flannel rag quilts with different sizes blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20724[/ATTACH]

baby flannel rag quilt - 3 layers of flannel
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20740[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-20724.jpe
Views:	151
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	20724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-20740.jpe
Views:	143
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	20740  
Old 02-21-2009, 03:11 PM

I really love the look of your rag quilts. Do you mean that you cut all 3 layers the same size and just sew through all 3 layers or do you cut the inner layer 2" smaller as you would if using a batting?
Old 02-21-2009, 04:11 PM

I cut all three layers the same size, sew through all three and snip the seam allowances on all three. It really makes the seams bloom, and cuts out the tedious job of cutting and placing the batting. Mine is a three ply sandwich, so to speak.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:18 PM

That's what I did with the one pictured above. The flannel that I used in the middle really made the other colors POP when it frayed!!
Old 02-21-2009, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by grma33
I have a stitch on my phaff that double stitches with single needle.
I wash mine in my dog`s bed pillow case. I use good flannel but some from walmart and I don`t seem to have much to shake out for the birdfs.
I just finished this baby one with 4 inch finished3
Gale
How cute Gale! I like them made out of flannel and homespun .... they are both totally different looks.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by sewbeeit42
I do my rag quilts a bit differently. I do not use the batting in the middle layer. I have done both homespun and flannel quilts this way. I buy a less expensive, or if I can get the fabric on sale, homespun or flannel fabric that have the color the same on both sides. I cut this fabric the same size as the other two and use it as the batting. It will then fray along with the top and back layers and gives a really fluffy feel to it. I still sew the layers together with a design, possibly and "X" or a heart or spiral.
How smart of you! I have seen them done by others where the person was affraid they wouldn't catch the filler in the seams so sewed a bigger seam .. then when they snipped the quilt you could see the stuffing. I like your idea,
so much easier!! :thumbup:
Old 02-21-2009, 09:07 PM

I also love to make rag quilts.I made my grandkids rag quilts for christmas. I used flannel an made a bear, rabbit an a cat. Very easy and very cute. I got the pattern from Handcocks Fabric.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:04 AM

Hi Quilters,
I have been reading about making rag quilts and I want to ask: What is a rag quilt ?

I've never heard of them and it sounds like something I would like to do.

Where cuold I find instructions.

Thanks, Lilly.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:45 AM

Michelle,
Consider checking with local quilt shops to find someone with the accucut rag quilt template. If they have it, they may cut it for you. The templates come with the fringe already cut. The batting size is perfect. It only takes a brief time to cut it. My advice on washing - go to the laundry to do it. Last xmas I did one and the day after xmas it cost me $250 for the pipes to be snaked. There is a rough texture on the cast iron pipes, perfect for snagging those threads. Pretty soon they build up and a blockage occurs. Much cheaper at the laundromat.
Happy stitching