Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
have any of you decided to just go gray? >

have any of you decided to just go gray?

have any of you decided to just go gray?

Old 03-27-2011, 03:21 PM

Got so I just couldn't color it anymore - there was more white than brown. Had tried to color my hair for years - but even the hairdresser admitted it was harder and harder to cover it up. The color just didn't seem to absormb into the hair. Recently got a compliment on what beautiful white hair I have - guess I was right to just stop trying.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:24 PM

Last year I had chemo and radiation and let my hair grow in naturally to shiny grey. I tried it for a while since I didn't feel that great to care about it. But it is back to reddish brown again. I felt so much younger with colored hair.....guess it is vanity but I don't want to feel older than I am....
Old 03-27-2011, 03:25 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

One October through April it snowed. I thought I needed a change. Those hair dyes at the grocery store needed to have a prescription from a hair dresser ! Dangerous to the novice !
So, I chose the wrong color, multiple times, my hair was like grass, I traveled from hair dresser to hair dresser to get fixed. The guys at work thought I was given a color of the month card for Christmas from my husband.
So, no, I do not dye my hair.. and will let nature take it's course.
BUT, PS, my Mom did not go gray until age 70 ! Its all in the genes !
Ell
Old 03-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Banned

glad I adjusted my glasses, I read the title as' have any of you decided to just go GAY"!

Good heavens...that would be a bold question now wouldn't it..
Old 03-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Banned

as to going gray...NO...I am a blonde and what is gray is white and not pretty with my aging blonde hair...I will be 50 this year and will ease into it fighting...
Old 03-27-2011, 04:38 PM

I have never coloured my hair, and at 59 not much chance of it happening.I have people that say they wished they could get my colour in a bottle.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:45 PM

Never have dyed my hair. I am going gray and I have earned everyone of them. I so it off with pride.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:56 PM

I have been coloring my hair for 25 years, and I used to have it really dark, bing cherry they called it. But then it started to look black from the buildup and my father said something about it being so dark, so I started to go down on the color chart. I went from dark brown to light brown. But if you leave light brown in too long- it becomes dark brown! I know because
I colored my hair 3 days ago and I used the last of my hair color that I had in the cabinet. It was supposed to be light brown, but something on THE VIEW made me forget about time.... So we'll see how long it takes me to get tired of it. I think it is going to be white like my Mothers. Her hair is very pretty, her mothers was yellow. I don't want my hair to be yellow. I didn't color it for 5 months, and it was getting pretty white where it grew out. And the brown had faded so it was the same color as it was when I was 5. I compared it to some hair my Mom had saved from a haircut back then. I'm really tired of coloring my hair, so I think I will try to grow it out and see what color it comes in. Hubby doesn't like it gray, and his hair isn't gray yet, he is lighter, but not gray. We'll see how it goes.....Maybe I will just put a little lemon juice on it this summer and see what the sun does to it. It is getting thin, so I don't want to mess with it too much. I don't want to go bald!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LaineyBelle
I have been coloring my hair for 25 years, and I used to have it really dark, bing cherry they called it. But then it started to look black from the buildup and my father said something about it being so dark, so I started to go down on the color chart. I went from dark brown to light brown. But if you leave it in too long- it becomes dark brown!
I just used the last of my hair color that I had stocked up. So we'll see how long it takes me to get tired of it. I think it is going to be white like my Mothers. I didn't color it for 5 months, and it was getting pretty white where it grew out. And the brown had faded so it was the same color as it was when I was 5. I compared it to some hair my Mom had saved from a haircut back then. I'm really tired of coloring my hair, so I think I will try to grow it out and see what color it comes in. Hubby doen't like it gray, and he isn't gray yet, he is lighter, but not gray. We'll see how it goes.....Maybe I will just put a little lemon juice on it this summer and see what the sun goes to it. It is getting thin, so I don't want to mess with it too much. I don't want to go bald!
instead of growing it out, have the color stripped and then color matched so you do not have that tiger stripe on top!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:47 PM

I colored my hair for almost 4 decades. (Gosh, it sounds like a long time put that way.) Last year I decided to go gray and have been growing it out. The first 6 months were the hardest because you could really see the difference. Now I have cut enough of the old hair off that it looks better. I really love the freedom of not coloring plus more money for fabric!