Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What a Great Way to Use Coffee Filters >

What a Great Way to Use Coffee Filters

What a Great Way to Use Coffee Filters

Old 03-27-2011, 01:34 PM

I having been making "mug rugs' for about 14 years as hostess gifts and for family and friends, but never thought of round ones. Good idea. However, I like using scraps from my used sheets, or left over muslin pieces for the foundation and back them with slightly used towels. Works great. I took your idea today and made four blocks using your idea and cut then down to 5 1/4" blocks for a quilt for "Just for You", our guilds donation to the Childrens Hospital in Atlanta. Thanks so much for sharing. Eileen
Old 03-27-2011, 02:20 PM

What a great idea - we have a coffee service at work and they always give you more filters than you will ever use. Always wondered what I could use them for. Now if I just could come up with an idea for those stir sticks they send along....
Old 03-27-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by MaryD
Any non-computer paper I've used for paper piecing has had to be put through the copier one at a time. I use a business size machine. Some papers get stuck no matter how I try to feed them.
There are the drawbacks. I use regular erasable typing paper in my printer, feeding one at a time or else I spend hours digging out this gawd awful jam.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:56 PM

thanks for the website--always something I can use or learn!!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:11 AM

tntgranny,the stir sticks i use are 1/4 inch and great for marking stitching lines.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:27 AM
nab

Thanks again for this idea. I acually made some this week-end. I had a good time!!! It is great for using up the odd shaped scraps. I have been cutting them up in squares which takes quite a bit of time. With the coffee filters I used them how they were and made crazy blocks. I did not even wet the filters to remove them. They came off very easy. Thanks for a really fun week-end project.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by maryo
tntgranny,the stir sticks i use are 1/4 inch and great for marking stitching lines.
There you go! A use for those stirring sticks.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Eileen De Ville
I having been making "mug rugs' for about 14 years as hostess gifts and for family and friends, but never thought of round ones. Good idea. However, I like using scraps from my used sheets, or left over muslin pieces for the foundation and back them with slightly used towels. Works great. I took your idea today and made four blocks using your idea and cut then down to 5 1/4" blocks for a quilt for "Just for You", our guilds donation to the Childrens Hospital in Atlanta. Thanks so much for sharing. Eileen
Eileen, do you bind these, or just pillowcase stitch all around and turn them. Never thought of these for those small gifts to give 'jus because'.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I just found this while surfing the internet -

http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2009...uesday_21.html

I have a whole stack of filters for my old coffee pot -
Bless your heart! My younger DD is expecting and my older DD and I are planning a baby shower (family members) in late July or early August. I think slow, so I have to start planning early

Since I sew a lot, I've been thinking ahead for prizes. I'd about decided to make mug rugs, probably using some of the fabrics I'll use for Kiddo's baby blankets.

WHY NOT ROUND MUG RUGS?

Thank you, thank you!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by cinnya
that is so cool. :-D
All I ever used coffeefilters for was in the bottom of my flowerpots. Thank you for showing this.
They are just perfect for covering drain holes aren't they?