Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
It's like a Hoarders episode on your computer >

It's like a Hoarders episode on your computer

It's like a Hoarders episode on your computer

Old 03-28-2011, 06:21 AM

And you'd clean this HOW?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:22 AM

All too familar to me. My mother was a hoarder. Hoarding is an is a obsesive compulsive mental disorder.

When we moved her out of her house because she could no or would not take care of herself, the filth and clutter was unimaginable. But all of us kids had at one time or another "cleaned" by hauling off stuff or calling in a dumpster to throw her junk into. But it was like a fungus, we would come back a few months later and it was if we had never been there.

Hoarding affects the whole family.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 AM

I have not read all of the comments here or there, but I think it is horrible that she would shame her mother like that. She has a Psychological problem and shame is no way to deal with it. I would never consider outting my mother like that. EVER!! If you can't help, DON'T HINDER!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:31 AM

I think that the creeps who responded to the whole show are sicker that tne girl's mother. I mean the responders on that link, not any comment here on the board.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Diana Lynne
I have known 3 people who are horders to this extreme..One was my Great Aunt and 2 are parents to my oldest daughter's friend..The bug/mouse/rat infestation was and is still terrible..it was and is unhealthy..I use to work in a rescue/fire ems field and things happen all the time..Fire's, injuries and such..When hording is the extreme to the point that there is only a path way to walk during a fire, the person who is in the house usually can not get out and rescue workers can not get in or if they get in, to find the person is almost impossible..They have many obstacles blocking their paths to help..
I completely agree. It's all fun and games till someone gets hurt. What if there was a fire, you'd be trapped. This lady could sprain/break an ankle just from walking, or worse and fall and no one would be able to find her.
Not to mention all that dust. How can heating/AC work properly when all ducts are blocked?
We all like to collect things, but sorry, this lady needs help! You can't take it w/ you... I don't know why people try.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:38 AM

I have a friend whom I love dearly. I dread hearing that he died in his house and wasn't found for weeks. The house in that woman's photographs is cluttered with tidily boxed items. His house is basically piles of trash inside 4 walls and a roof with heating. He has a four/five bedroom house with a huge kitchen and family/living room - it's over 100 years old. There is a narrow 2-1/2 foot walkway through the house with a couple of side paths. I would post a video of his kitchen, but it's scary. There is a pile of empty (rinsed out) plastic milk jugs and tin cans (also rinsed out) that is almost up to the ceiling. Same thing in the family/living room, except it's cardboard boxes and packing boxes.

I am probably the only person in the world (besides him) who knows that the attic contains a Noritaki service for 12 from the 60's that's never been opened. Ditto for silverware to match. There's also a large collection of guns, antique coins, and souvenirs (expensive ones) from his service in Japan and elsewhere (starting in the 60's).

I asked him to post a sign somewhere to tell his executor to contact me so that I can assist the cleanout of his house after he passes away. He's almost 80 now.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:51 AM

Sure hope my child would not post something like this for public viewing and critical comment.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:53 AM

That is very, very sad.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:05 AM

Her sons actions speak volumes as to why she could be in this house/state of mind. Seems to me he could be more of a hinderance than help. Sad he had no problem taking her bedroom and she sleeps on the couch. That and him posting the pictures says a lot about him also.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:29 AM

Dang, I have nightmares of a place so cluttered I can't move. i need my space, plus my dogs love playing too much. haha.

Years ago, in the 80's I knew this old guy, who was a hoarder at the time. Before they had TV shows on such a thing. There was a small path from his front door back to his bedroom, otherwise you couldn't move anywhere.